• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second Week Home

Paintz

Moving in
...and they've already grown attached to me! I was worried at first that a cockatiel was a bad fit for me and I had made a mistake, or that they didn't like me at all, or even that I was a bad bird tamer, but patiently waiting with a handful of millet worked! i had booted them from their cage to clean it (i just lifted the bottom out from them, waited for them to get off the perch, and took it away.) They had initially flown away but holding a spray millet in my hand eventually attracted them to me. As soon as they were brave enough to take a nibble of it without flying away, it seemed almost as it was an immediate signal for them that i was their friend, as within 24 hours they can step up, have been cuddling me, and following me around the room, and letting me give them scritches. They also made tiny peeping noises when i petted them, is this normal? i haven't been able to find any videos of it.

20170929_054903.jpg
not a good pic, i know, but here's them sitting on my thigh. i just sat around and they waddled up onto me, so i gave them millet. heres them pre-preening

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are wonderful birds. I'm glad they're doing so well with you. Millet works wonders. :smuggrin:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad they have become so comfortable with you! I'm not sure what the little noises they make while you're petting them sound like, but make sure you only pet their heads, not their backs, because backs are an exogenous zone.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My 3 month old Alsing makes little chirps too when I give her head massage. She sometimes does it before I give the massage and say "cuddles" to show me she wants it! It's so cute

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
My bird does little chirps when I have snuggles. Here's a handwritten message from him.

jwki92KKKWOO IO00000kwkama aakkmskowemaaaasksks oojajqi9211oo""llls'''[[]\\w.x/zso,aqkamaisjKNA,a,OokakMmakaooskigkskdkfkfigkc kkkgkg

Let's all thank him for his lovely handwritten message.
stop chewing on my hair sunny.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
The cheeps are happy noises!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary