• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second clutch

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So Charlie & Emma are on their second clutch (at least since arriving home with me) and interestingly enough, Emma decided to only lay 6 eggs this time. I know you may be asking, "I thought you weren't going to let them lay eggs this time?" Originally yes, that was the plan, but then I thought to myself, hmm, maybe I should let her lay one more full clutch of eggs to see if she lays the exact same magic number again (seven eggs), and sure enough, my suspicions were correct! She only laid 6 eggs this time. How consistent are everyone's hens concerning their magic number clutch size?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Generally they are very consistent, it can vary but usually doesn't vary much.

Peaches and Turbo had two clutches of four and then two clutches of five. In three years. Both of the fifth eggs in the clutch were slightly smaller than normal. One of the little eggs failed to hatch and the second one had trouble but I was able to save her.

My parrotlets were really consistent as wall some pairs laid 7 eggs every time. The others almost always laid 5.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I was mistaken apparently. I checked again today and sure enough, there was a seventh egg in the nest. She did seem to space them out more than last time. Her first clutch was one egg per day. This time it seems like one egg every two days.