• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Second baby not being fed enough

razer

Meeting neighbors
Hi as you already my male got lost and the female has 5 eggs which 2 have hatched. The second baby is not being fed enough because the mom feed the stronger one more. I have baby bird formula called Pretty Bird that I keep trying to feed baby #2, but the baby will not eat it. I am afraid if she/he does not eat enough then it's the end. Any suggestions. I'm desperate to help baby #2.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When did this second baby hatch?
Remember to follow the instructions on the formula, for the first 5 days of life, the formula consistency will be different and it changes daily.

razer

Meeting neighbors
The 2nd baby hatched on Tuesday early in the morning. I followed the in instruction exactly but the baby will not take it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What are you using to feed the chick? If is it a syringe, what size? You will need a very small one.

@Mockinbirdiva @Laurie

razer

Meeting neighbors
I tried to use the smallest syringe and a tiny spoon. Nothing works

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just a few small notes.

Make sure the formula is mixed properly according to directions. Make sure the temperature is correct as well.
I would try the syringe again. I have no experience using a spoon. You will only be feeding a drop or two the first feeding but it will slowly increase with each feeding, you will be able to see it in the crop through the skin.

If you touch the the beak where the top and bottom beak are joined you can often get the baby to open it's beak and bob it's head, this is the feeding response that is natural for the baby and indicates that it is ready to eat.

Are you keeping the baby with the mom to keep it warm? Is she feeding it at all.

Also, if she is feeding the older baby it will sometimes work better to remove the older on to handfeed and the mom will start feeding the younger one. I am sorry I can not be of much help as it is very difficult to describe in detail something like this. Please be sure to look at the articles that I posted as they give many detail that you need.

Keeping the baby warm and at the right temp is important and you just have to keep trying. It sometimes takes the baby time to learn to eat well. It just depends on the baby. You can also try putting some formula on the left side of the baby's beak just above the opening and see if it will run into the babies mouth and if he will eat it. I am not sure this is the recommended way but it seems to work for me with very young babies. It is preferable to do this with a baby who is exhibiting a feeding response.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Depending on what time the second chick hatched is when the parent will feed the chick. Since you posted in the early a.m.today has the mother fed this chick yet? After hatching the parents ( exception you male is missing) will sit and sit on the chicks to keep them warm but don't feed them for 8 to 12 hours after hatching. The chicks will completely absorb their yolk sacs during this time.

razer

Meeting neighbors
Thankyou for your help. That is a lot of information. As of now there are 3 babies and 2 eggs. I put food into the nest for the mom along with water, then take it out. She seems to be feeding everyone. I think the biggest one gets more because he bigger. I am keeping all of them with the mother. Wish the dad was here I miss him and so does she. He was a albino with red eyes. Once again thanks for your help.