• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second baby conure attacking first

Fluffyoh

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Choo
Hello everyone! I need some advise because I recently got a new baby gcc (now 3months) called mochi. I have an existing gcc (1year) called fluffy. I am finding ways to introduce them properly so they are friends but face some difficulty.

First, I live in a one bedroom apartment. Fluffy has the whole balcony to himself including a Java tree stand and his sleeping cage. Fluffy spends easily 3-4 hours or so With me in the living Room usually.

Mochi was at my mums place for 3 weeks (fluffy visited every few days) but now he’s back at my place. Now he’s been back for 2 weeks. mochi has to be in the living room. I put their cages next to each other to sleep. During mealtimes I took both of them out with their individual food bowls and Fluffy seems happy with Mochi as he will go to preen Mochi. Mochi would be ok for awhile but will become angry and fight (maybe fluffy is violent?) mochi never preens fluffy. Also, when fluffy is minding his own business mochi would fly directly at him resulting in a fight. It happened on my head so I stopped them from standing there but it also happened on the Java tree stand. Twice they fell off/I tried to break it but the fight continued on the floor. Today, a fight occurred and Mochi’s tongue had some blood.

I need some advise on how to approach this. I can’t interact with them individually without the other seeing/hearing because the house is just too small. Fluffy has much more space than Mochi - not sure if this results in jealousy but I also can’t suddenly cage fluffy because he may think it’s because of mochi? I feel lost. Why is baby mochi attacking fluffy

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why is baby mochi attacking fluffy
Sometimes birds just don´t get on. In time they may become more tolerant or even friendly with one another, but maybe not. I´d keep them separated and only allow interaction under close supervision, with multiple food bowls to avoid fights.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have taken a completely different approach introducing KiKi to Mojo

Both are in seperate flight cages next to each other and both get seperate out of cage time i have witnessed aggression through KiKi's cage when Mojo has landed on there and i have had to seperate them i am currently teaching them both some boundaries you dont go on the other birds cage this has improved massively over the last couple of weeks.
They both live in the living room i always feed Mojo first followed by KiKi straight after ( Mojo was here first so she gets her new food first )
Out of cage time Mojo is out first then she go's away and it's KiKis turn for the same reason as above i honestly cant say how close i am to having them out the cage together this will happen when i feel things are more stable and KiKI is more trusting of me however when they both meet outside a cage for the first time it will be in my wifes office as this is a room that is completely neutral to them both.
As Zara says my two may never get on not something i can predict if this means seperate out of cage time then thats how will have to play it however i am happy with there progress and they are clearly curious of each other chat to each other when i am not around and KiKi being the newer bird follows Mojo's lead with everything i think sometimes a few steps backwards can be much more beneficial long term.

Col

Fluffyoh

Real Name
Choo
Missed this was so young. Could also be down to the youngster testing the boundaries.
@webchirp @Wardy
Yes super young - so the idea was that I would prep fluffy for a baby and mochi would be fine because he grew up with us. But turns out he’s not fine even when he’s so young :/ I should get mochi tested - think he maybe male?

Fluffyoh

Real Name
Choo
I have taken a completely different approach introducing KiKi to Mojo

Both are in seperate flight cages next to each other and both get seperate out of cage time i have witnessed aggression through KiKi's cage when Mojo has landed on there and i have had to seperate them i am currently teaching them both some boundaries you dont go on the other birds cage this has improved massively over the last couple of weeks.
They both live in the living room i always feed Mojo first followed by KiKi straight after ( Mojo was here first so she gets her new food first )
Out of cage time Mojo is out first then she go's away and it's KiKis turn for the same reason as above i honestly cant say how close i am to having them out the cage together this will happen when i feel things are more stable and KiKI is more trusting of me however when they both meet outside a cage for the first time it will be in my wifes office as this is a room that is completely neutral to them both.
As Zara says my two may never get on not something i can predict if this means seperate out of cage time then thats how will have to play it however i am happy with there progress and they are clearly curious of each other chat to each other when i am not around and KiKi being the newer bird follows Mojo's lead with everything i think sometimes a few steps backwards can be much more beneficial long term.

Col
yes I think I’d have to not let them interact for awhile at home - maybe only outdoors for one or two weeks.