• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seasoning cast iron pans

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I know cast iron is considered safe for birds, but what about seasoning the pan in a 500ºF oven? Is that okay?

Also has anyone ever stripped a cast iron pan of teflon? I have a vintage french enameled pan I don't use but I heard about stripping the teflon off and seasoning the bare cast iron. Has anyone done this before? This is my pan since stripping off the teflon. The picture looks dark, but the teflon is gone. I'm wondering if it's safe enough to use.

IMG_8091.JPG

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
PS - I worked outside using a coarse cup wire brush attachment on my drill and I wore a dual cartridge respirator mask.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't even know there were cast iron pans w/ Tephlon. I wouldn't use this one in the oven @ 500 degree's. I think tephlon gases off around 450 or 500. @JLcribber ?

As for seasoning... I know it's recommended to use the smallest amount of oil possible. I have a set that's in the process of being reconditioned. I'm trying to wait till the windows are open for this project. A few more weeks, I hope.

Many questions about the seasoning has come up here on AA & the regular members have recommended air cleaner (s) to also be running before, after & during the process.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I didn't even know there were cast iron pans w/ Tephlon. I wouldn't use this one in the oven @ 500 degree's. I think tephlon gases off around 450 or 500. @JLcribber ?
Oh, I would never use it with the Teflon on it even though it's cast iron. I have stripped all the Teflon off and plan to reason it IF members thought it is safe to use now that the Teflon has been stripped off.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How did you strip the teflon off?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If it is a vintage enameled cast iron pan there is no Teflon in it. Enamels pans are fine to cook with. I have stripped and reseasoned lots of cast iron. Best method is this one imo I strip it with easy off oven cleaner in a black garbage bag outside. Google how to do it it works great and once stripped I use this method to season them.

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
If it is a vintage enameled cast iron pan there is no Teflon in it. Enamels pans are fine to cook with. I have stripped and reseasoned lots of cast iron. Best method is this one imo I strip it with easy off oven cleaner in a black garbage bag outside. Google how to do it it works great and once stripped I use this method to season them.

Apparently, they did use a Teflon-like substance in the 70s called Silverstone. It was made by DuPont. Read this thread: Identifying and using old Le Creuset

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I worked outside wearing a respirator mask. I grinded it off using a coarse wire cup brush on my drill.
OMG. That's a lot of work. I would have just got a cast iron pan. :)

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
We cook almost exclusively with cast iron. The easiest way I've found to "recondition" is to build a very hot campfire outside and put the entire skillet or pot in and heat until it's red hot. Take it out and let it cool. All the rust and old finish will be gone. Rub the entire pan with vegetable oil and bake upside down at 375 for 1-2 hours. Let it cool in the oven and it's ready to use. Never scrub a well seasoned skillet. Wash in very hot water and wipe dry immediately. As you can see we have quite a few well seasoned and well used cast iron pieces. 0308201953_HDR.jpg

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!!! Me too when I can do it. :bliss:

Fiwi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Project complete! I seasoned the skillet with 4 thin coats of grape seed oil. Each coat was baked in the oven at 500° for an hour. Cast iron, when stripped clean will have a bronze hue to it. It will blacken with time and use. I cooked my eggs in it this morning and they slid out of the pan with ease!

IMG_4656.jpg IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4722.JPG

Reactions: tka

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fire will ruin your cast iron!
Really? My grandmother cooked on a campfire for years in an old cast iron pan, maybe it was ok coz it was an old old one from the 1960s..