• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seamus visit-a bit graphic

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Its uncharted territory. My vet contacted every vet he knew in the US and Europe and not one has seen anything similar. So the hope is that he’ll one day not need these treatments and his beak will figure out that it can start growing healthy tissue again. Every visit is a new outlook. Thankfully, the last couple are going in the right direction. He did tell me today that most people would have euthanized a long time ago and that’s why the treatment plan is so fluid...most macaws don’t get to this point. But Seamus is starting to play now and he clearly loves his treats so I think he’s going to keep getting better. :heart:
It’s a shame how people can just give up on a living soul. Love it one minute and then throw it away like it’s nothing. I can understand that sometimes life happens and we have no control. But the best thing (in my opinion) is to at least rehome and give them a chance. Seamus is so ever greatful for you and your husband working as a team to help another bird live it’s best life! What great news for him and I do hope that the healthy tissue starts to realize hey it’s safe, let the magic happen now!! Way to go, so happy the sunny day is shining so bright for him!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I love your updates, and I'm loving the news that each day is better for Seamus and you.
I think I'm not alone in saying this story makes us all believe in the impossible being made possible.
In the beginning I think we all felt such sorrow and horror, but now we cheer when each visit is better, and believe in happier endings.

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My camels keep me from being tossed into the woodshed. Like I've said before, I rodeoed for 7 years and have a very full vocabulary.
You and me both. My dad was in the AF, and my first word was...colorful. I bite my tongue a lot.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love the updates, but I'm with Sarah: I don't need to see the grossness. Just tell me it's treatable and what I need to do to foment healing.

I am amazed at the resiliency of parrots. Both of Lisa's macaws, Nikomania's grey...the desire to survive and the will to live with agony is amazing. Thank God you have Seamus AND Dr. Driggers. Someday soon, he will be feeling a lot better, a new normal. I look forward to the day he destroys a wood toy.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really appreciate that your vet wants to keep you in the loop as much as possible with Seamus’s treatments during his visits. If I had a bird with that sort of chronic condition, I would want to know, too. I hope and pray that he will beat this into submission with your help!! Go, Seamus, go!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so glad Seamus is improving.

@Hankmacaw I always curse May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their nose. Not sure which is worse.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I wanted to see every thing.

Like you, Lisa, I am so angry every time I think about what Seamus has gone through, I can't even spit. This bird went through years of abject misery and maintained his desire to live - I don't know how. There a few birds on this board who will always be heroes to me and Seamus is one of them. At the same time, I'm so grateful that you found him and got him, but I'm not nearly as grateful as Seamus is.

May the fleas of a thousand camels live in the pubic hair of Seamus' former owners.
Me too! I find it fascinating.

Here's to short arms and no calamine lotion for miles and miles.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yikes, bless you all. Hope Seamus continues to get better thru love & good care.

:angel6:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The very "best" wish for someone "special" is that they have "an interesting life." That one really bites you on the butt.

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Haha yep, I'm with you @Hankmacaw on being an opposite of other macaw Sarah.
I love seeing and consequently learning about what is going on with any of my animals.
The education obtained and ability to actually see what my animal is going through are invaluable and contribute in large part to a more comprehensive understanding and proper care on my part as the owner. Sure it's not the sexiest thing to see but I owe it to them in some objective regards.

Poor guy, the fact that it happened is one thing but the then when it was just left to deteriorate... it's tragically mind boggling to me.
Yay pink tissue! Keep going buddy!