• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seamus visit-a bit graphic

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Seamus had his weekly Driggers appt. He asked me to come in the back this time to watch the procedure. I thought some may be interested to see this condition since it’s so freakishly rare.

I took these pics after most of the gunk had been removed. The upper part of his beak is healing wonderfully and is just crusty so I didn’t take any pics of that.

These show how the bottom portion is overproducing keratin from an infection of the germinal tissue and how it builds into a kind of sludge. But it also shows the healthy pink tissue coming in in the back, which wasn’t there before. When he first came in his entire lower and upper portions of his beak were just rotting away...Driggers said his beak looks much better today than back then.
B5F49EB4-C82D-4C5B-9E93-3D9FA4E4A87F.jpeg C0A32FC0-C95A-4E5E-ACBF-F8F47FCF835C.jpeg
It definitely shows why he can’t chew on anything but the softest materials. He must have been in so much pain for so long. It’s so infuriating to think about, it’s cathartic to be able to vent with the vet, who seems just as upset about it.

Here he is after waking up from the anesthesia...not happy but looking good. :heart: 02585591-4553-41C5-8FD8-ED176E7C3A6A.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yah, I didn't need to see it. That is an amount of gunk in my head forever now. Poor baby. Oh poor baby....

When they want me to come in back.... I tell them I'm good not seeing.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yah, I didn't need to see it. That is an amount of gunk in my head forever now. Poor baby. Oh poor baby....

When they want me to come in back.... I tell them I'm good not seeing.
That’s about 1/10th the gunk. I like to see what they’re doing, but I’m used to it. It was a very informative day...he brought out macaw skulls and we went over all the deep tissue issues up close. Seamus hates going, but this is the build up from just seven days so for now it’s a weekly visit.

He’ll get extra cookies and cantaloupe today and be back to his happy self soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL and I'm just the opposite of Sarah. Dr. Driggers had to chase me out of the operating room - I wanted to see every thing.

Like you, Lisa, I am so angry every time I think about what Seamus has gone through, I can't even spit. This bird went through years of abject misery and maintained his desire to live - I don't know how. There a few birds on this board who will always be heroes to me and Seamus is one of them. At the same time, I'm so grateful that you found him and got him, but I'm not nearly as grateful as Seamus is.

May the fleas of a thousand camels live in the pubic hair of Seamus' former owners.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You and your camels... :rofl:

I am perfectly able to handle emergency blood guts & nasty, something in me just takes over and I don't even see it. If I don't have to see it I would just rather not. I don't need/want the images in my head, they cause me suffering. :arghh:

I'm so glad though that Driggers is willing to show you as you want to see. I used to take my interns with so they could see while I sat it out. ;) My vet wanted to show me EVERYTHING. :cautious:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My camels keep me from being tossed into the woodshed. Like I've said before, I rodeoed for 7 years and have a very full vocabulary.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor baby! :sad4:
These show how the bottom portion is overproducing keratin from an infection of the germinal tissue and how it builds into a kind of sludge. But it also shows the healthy pink tissue coming in in the back, which wasn’t there before.
So does that mean that the healthy tissue is building up & maybe one day the sludge might lessen and stop? :angel1: Could his beak be more or less normal one day?

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
So does that mean that the healthy tissue is building up & maybe one day the sludge might lessen and stop? :angel1: Could his beak be more or less normal one day?
Yay Seamus!! So glad to hear he’s doing better! That poor baby needs the love of someone like you. And like the other members have already said he’s kept his spirits up in hopes of having an angel like you!
I quoted @faislaq question because so do hope that one day he can enjoy his like with a almost normal macaw beak. But all in all as long and he’s still enjoying himself then that’s all we can as for a happy health boy!

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
He has a strong spirit to have lived with the pain for so long and not given up. He's healing in more than one way. He's beautiful.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Omg poor Seamus :( I hope he enjoyed his cantaloupe and cookies, he deserves whatever he wants for being such a tough fighter and a huge sweetie. He’s looking awesome Lisa, you’re doing such wonderful things for and with him:heart:

Lmao at @Hankmacaw and her camel comments- they get me chuckling every time!:laugh:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have to admit, I skipped looking at the pics. I'm good with handling things in the moment but not when I don't have too. LOL. I am so happy that Seamus is doing better and he is so, so lucky to have you. :)

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Poor baby! :sad4:
Yay Seamus!! So glad to hear he’s doing better! That poor baby needs the love of someone like you. And like the other members have already said he’s kept his spirits up in hopes of having an angel like you!
I quoted @faislaq question because so do hope that one day he can enjoy his like with a almost normal macaw beak. But all in all as long and he’s still enjoying himself then that’s all we can as for a happy health boy!

Its uncharted territory. My vet contacted every vet he knew in the US and Europe and not one has seen anything similar. So the hope is that he’ll one day not need these treatments and his beak will figure out that it can start growing healthy tissue again. Every visit is a new outlook. Thankfully, the last couple are going in the right direction. He did tell me today that most people would have euthanized a long time ago and that’s why the treatment plan is so fluid...most macaws don’t get to this point. But Seamus is starting to play now and he clearly loves his treats so I think he’s going to keep getting better. :heart:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He has a strong spirit to have lived with the pain for so long and not given up. He's healing in more than one way. He's beautiful.
He’s one of the strongest little beings I’ve ever known. He shines at home...sure he tries to eat my husband lol (because he squirts the listerine in his mouth every day on the sore spots and is so good at it) but he has a gentle soul when I’m talking to him or feeding him tiny foods...he prefers his treats with conversation and by hand vs in a bowl and I think the fact that he still wants human connection is amazing.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can I ask a few bizarre questions? Is there an odor associated with this wound? Maybe one noticed during the debridement? Has the plaque been cultured? Were findings only keratin?
Just wishing to appease my curiosity vs the human condition.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Can I ask a few bizarre questions? Is there an odor associated with this wound? Maybe one noticed during the debridement? Has the plaque been cultured? Were findings only keratin?
Just wishing to appease my curiosity vs the human condition.
There was a smell initially. It was found to be just from the build up itself/bacterial infections. No smell now. Yes, it’s been cultured a few different times thoroughly. It’s just keratin now. Prior cultures showed some of the bacterial colonies present as we were treating them.