• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seamus Update

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Seamus has had quite a few appts with the Dr. since coming home. Mostly he gets his beak trimmed down and his nares cleaned out monthly, samples taken to make sure meds are working and meds changed accordingly.

He saw Dr Driggers today and his left nostril had some puss and under his tongue had more excess keratin growing. Dr Driggers at this point thinks that the infection part of his issue is largely handled. He thinks the problem now is that Seamus was abused for so long (neglected medically at the very least) that his body is just overproducing keratin at an extreme rate in places it shouldn’t (throughout his nares, under his tongue). He said it’s a response he’s only seen in one other bird in his entire experience. He said we’ll have to keep up on trims and check ups (which we’re doing of course) and we scheduled a deep clean under anesthesia for next month.

The fact is, Driggers thinks Seamus may never be able to fully recover from the neglect he suffered. We’re trying to be happy with the fact he’s here with us and we’re going to keep doing regular cleanings and maintain his beak and mouth cleanliness, but it was explained to me that his body went through so many years of neglect/trauma and it just doesn’t function as it should. It could correct itself in time or it may not. For now Driggers said he’s very happy with how Seamus looks compared to when we first got him, but he’s unhappy to say that the time it will take for Seamus to fully recover may be a decade to never. It was our most somber appt yet to say the least.

I’ve sent my husband to go get some melons and bread making supplies and I’m going to make him a fancy treat for being so good at the vets today. He’s making his sad mumble sounds now breaking my heart so I’m going with the tried and tested fruit bribe to cheer him up.

I had moved him out of my room into the playroom where bowser is thinking another macaw would help him come out of his shell a bit, but now I’m wondering if he needs to be back in my room where he gets more constant attention.

Other than all that lol, he seems to be doing better comfort wise. He explores a bit more now and eats really well. He makes the softest macaw sounds I’ve heard when he’s talking and is still the best boy.
Here he is leaving the vet looking pretty rough after having his nares and tongue scraped. 3C78C944-0D60-4CAC-A801-1D40300B83C8.jpeg A0A01CC0-3A9A-49F2-BF0C-FD2A2CA3B341.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a sweet character even after all he's been through! That is still a precious face even though it is a bit rough :)

I'm so sorry that it was such a sobering vet appointment. I hope so much that you, your husband and Seamus will have many happy years together!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thankyou for the update.
It's sad he won't have the good health he deserves (at least soon), but he has landed in a great spot with you, and the best vet.
He certainly has the love he deserves now.
He sounds like such a big sweetheart. :heart2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He really does sound like such a sweet boy, it is awful to think what he has lived through and what problems he may be now left with. I really am so pleased he has you to care for him now.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
His story breaks everyone of our hearts, and we're just so relieved he's with you.
This must be so hard on you too.. :(
Praying his moments of happiness and comfort continue to grow.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just want to sit down and bawl. What people do to these birds and then we who are responsible get them and try to clean them up so they can live a life. I don't know if I'm madder or sadder.

Seamus must be a horribly tough bird to have survived this long, so he will probably go on surviving - but much happier and better than before. I feel sorry for Dr. Driggers having to tell you that. It had to hurt him too.

My Jasper and Hank were both similar to Seamus - they had been damaged so much before I got them that they really never had a chance.

Give Seamus a big kiss from me and yourself a hug. I've got to go process this now.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well, I'm going the other route. I have the island of misfit toys and no body here thinks they are broken. Take a few days to collect your thoughts and then it is what it is, Lisa. You are going to give him the best damn life he can have despite any handicap. Life is messy but his life is better and he knows it. The worst is behind him and his routine vet trips will get easier.

If driggers says it's okay to have him around your birds I think that is best. Precautions taken even from a far they knit a tight flock.

I have no doubt that Driggers/Mary Lynn everyone has their thinking caps on and there could be a different future... until then you do your best because he doesn't know he is broken.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think it's an amazing story of resilience, hope, and love. Thank God for you and Dr. Driggers. I see no reason not to hope for the best. And I can't wait until he realizes his NEW normal is so much better than what he soldiered through.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you everyone. :heart: Not many people understand the stress or pain of situations like this, but everyone here does and it’s such a blessing.

@Hankmacaw I’ve been feeling the same things all day. Seamus is happily eating his melon right now and on his favorite perch...while the vet visits are stressful for him he does settle down quickly once back home. Instead of thinking about how his previous homes failed him, I’m going to try to focus on spoiling him now.
Seamus is a tough guy...Dr Driggers wasn’t happy to tell me what he had to, his whole voice changed, but I think he is happy to at least have the opportunity to keep treating him as needed finally.

@Macawnutz I feel better about him staying in the macaw area then. It’s such a wait and see thing with every decision for him. I’m hoping Bowsers outgoing antics are contagious, as well as the feeling of safety from seeing a macaw with absolutely zero stress right next to him.

I just keep reminding myself that he’s not been here that terribly long and if taking things slowly is his speed then that’s the speed we’ll go at. Even when I get frustrated that he’s not exploring more or leaving his cage door much, I have to remind myself that if he’s happy sitting on top of his cage door that’s something happy too. And maybe one day he’ll realize what a toy is for, so I’ll keep decorating his cage anyway lol.

Last edited:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm so happy to see an update on him! I can't say enough about the power of witnessing "safe", "fun", and "normal" after trauma or for introducing things. It's been the key to new things for Monaco, Bella and me too (although I'm pretty sure it's just Bella and me with ptsd.) Sometimes it takes watching for a while before we can try for some fun of our own.

He looks great!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You do the best you can and just keep loving him and he knows he's safe and loves you back. Too bad some people shouldn't have birds and just destroy their lives like that.
Nerd bird was a very skinny Maxi Pionus with bad feather coloring and all that. I gave him feather vitamins and loved and fed him and he grew to love me back. The vet was worried about how skinny he was but after he never changed they decided he was just a skinny version of a Maxi. His feather color went back to normal and he just did Nerd things, got scritches and treats. He was happily with me for 31 years and was probably at least two years older and wild caught. He never knew he was old and just was a happy boy that ignored his issues to not miss any fun with his flock.
Hopefully Seamus will do similar and hang on and enjoy his new life.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No matter how bad it was, it'll never be that way again. His life has already changed, better forever because of you and Dr Driggers, and soon because of Bowser's healthy example of how to live this new, fabulous life. :heart: