• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seahorses

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Had dwarf seahorses ordered mail order back when you could do that as a kid. Most never lived long as they made it sound like they could live in a fishbowl. The last pair I had in a dedicated 20 gallon salt aquarium and I got the testing chemicals and all that. They did fine for over a year and even one of the babies was growing up nicely and my test chemicals went bad and the tank crashed and everything died as I had no clue the nitrates had spiked so I gave up. They were cool unique fish at the time and I found a 33 gallon bow front tank if I ever want fish again now that I have my own bigger house. Maybe someday again but concentrating on keeping Dobby happy for now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I find it really hard to keep birds, fish, hubby, and everyone else in the world happy. :rofl:
Concentrating on fids at the moment. It's because I overdo everything. Cook for the fids, used to cook for the fish... planted tanks, etc etc.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This was what I meant by posing - P1020345.JPG

Not the best of photos but I'm positive he posed for it ...

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Mine ate baby brine shrimp that lived in the tank with them. After the tank crashed the brine shrimp kept going for a very long time and I finally saw what adults looked like. I've seen a few aquarium shops with salt water fish since then but hardly ever saw any sea horses, maybe because they don't do well with most other fish to compete with.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

The ones I had were tank raised, not out of the ocean. Mine ate frozen mysis shrimp. Much easier to keep as pets.
I was going to ask if they were tank raised vs wild caught. From my understanding seahorses have a short life expectancy.

They are amazing creatures. I have a tattoo of one!

I'm terrified to keep them because I understand they are struggling to survive in the wild and I don't want to contribute to their demise. But maybe if they are tank raised.......... Not so much, right?

mstomcat65

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marti
I was going to ask if they were tank raised vs wild caught. From my understanding seahorses have a short life expectancy.

They are amazing creatures. I have a tattoo of one!

I'm terrified to keep them because I understand they are struggling to survive in the wild and I don't want to contribute to their demise. But maybe if they are tank raised.......... Not so much, right?

That depends on the species of seahorse.... some are 4-6 years. The ones I had were 8-10 years. I wouldn't have had a seahorse tank if they were not tank raised.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
Mine ate baby brine shrimp that lived in the tank with them. After the tank crashed the brine shrimp kept going for a very long time and I finally saw what adults looked like. I've seen a few aquarium shops with salt water fish since then but hardly ever saw any sea horses, maybe because they don't do well with most other fish to compete with.

That for the most part is true. Seahorses are pokey eaters and most fish are pretty quick when it comes to eating. I hatched the baby brine shrimp in a separate tank/container with an air stone. I would put them in the tank before they got to adulthood. I don't know if they ever became adults with all the live rock they could hide in plus the mandarin I had in the tank was probably eating them too. They also don't last long in the pet shops if they are ocean caught and will only eat live food. I think the pet shops only feed dry/dead food and the seahorses don't recognize it as food (at least that's the way is used to be where I am).

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
those are amazing little creatures!! I love them!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This is why I think "my" seahorse very literally posed - these two photos are not very clear but he/she alctually swam over to the window, got closer and then (I swear) posed for that first photo I posted.
P1020343.JPG

P1020344.JPG

and then he turned sideways for me ... ;)

AND stayed still

Last edited:

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
That's cool I had a couple females that would come to the front of the tank when it was feeding time. I used to put their shrimp in a flat shell and they would hitch onto my finger. I see yours had a personality too lol.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

That depends on the species of seahorse.... some are 4-6 years. The ones I had were 8-10 years. I wouldn't have had a seahorse tank if they were not tank raised.
Excellent news :bounce7: ........ All around :giveme5:

What species lives 8 yrs?

ArowanaLover

Just a suggestion, but a seahorse only tank with macroalgae and a mandarin dragonet would be awesome. The mandarin shares the same diet (copepods and amphipods) and would do great with them.

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
Just a suggestion, but a seahorse only tank with macroalgae and a mandarin dragonet would be awesome. The mandarin shares the same diet (copepods and amphipods) and would do great with them.

I agree :) I had some feather dusters that also would eat the tiny bits of the mysis. They would open up when they would "smell" the food in the tank. I also had a scooter blenny in there with the mandarin, but he would eat eat the mysis where the mandarin would not. Macroalgae is beautiful! My tank didn't have much in it.