• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Seahorses

mstomcat65

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marti
I've seen different pics of the pets ppl have other then their birds. It brings me to think back and go down memory lane I miss my seahorse tank and have been thinking about setting a smaller tank up again. My other tank was 120 gallons, I have to go quite a bit smaller being I'm in an apt. now.
FB_IMG_1477326313673.jpg FB_IMG_1477326276362.jpg FB_IMG_1477326239744.jpg FB_IMG_1477326202894.jpg

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I started with 2 fresh water tanks then a salt water tank. I started with a 75 gallon saltwater and upgraded to a 120 for the seahorses. Some of the fish in the 75 were to aggressive for the horses and they were slow eaters lol.
That's how ours is. I have a jewel cichlid in a tank by herself because she actually killed my other cichlids. Our saltwater tank is all peaceful and so will my planted tank. When I do my seahorse tank, it will be strictly sea horses. I'm excited to start both of my tanks!

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
My horse tank was live rock, feather dusters, some snails, a few shrimp, a mandarin (which fed off of the live rock "bugs), I didn't go with live plants and decided on the plastic or the cloth type ones (I can't remember what they were made of). The horse would come to me brown or black and would change to the color they liked best as you can see above the female loved anything pink. The orange on was my prize winner. He won 2 photo contests and was in a popular fish magazine at the time.

18472_299194815591_5568424_n.jpg This guy looooved puple and wine colors. He was jet black til it put this rock in the tank :)

Last edited:

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
That's how ours is. I have a jewel cichlid in a tank by herself because she actually killed my other cichlids. Our saltwater tank is all peaceful and so will my planted tank. When I do my seahorse tank, it will be strictly sea horses. I'm excited to start both of my tanks!

I had a 46 gallon salt water tank for mollies. I would breed them for the babies to feed to the horses and other fish that ate live food. I found that I had more babies from the saltwater tank compared to the freshwater tank. I have been also looking at the cichlids for a few years now also. Love their colors! I had some convict cichlids some one gave me and they were little terrors! lol

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
We will see how I do with keeping the plants alive in the planted tank as to where or not I have live plants in the sea horse tank. We have live rock, corals, clownfish, chromis, shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, conches, fire fish and a yellow tang in ours

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
We will see how I do with keeping the plants alive in the planted tank as to where or not I have live plants in the sea horse tank. We have live rock, corals, clownfish, chromis, shrimp, snails, hermit crabs, conches, fire fish and a yellow tang in ours

I am so jealous! I really need to get my hubby on the same page with me getting a tank going again lol

alshgs

Avenue Veteran

I had a 46 gallon salt water tank for mollies. I would breed them for the babies to feed to the horses and other fish that ate live food. I found that I had more babies from the saltwater tank compared to the freshwater tank. I have been also looking at the cichlids for a few years now also. Love their colors! I had some convict cichlids some one gave me and they were little terrors! lol
Oh gosh mine were all aggressive! After that we decided to just do peaceful tanks, but I kept jewel because she was gorgeous. When she got mad she would turn bright red. Now she's overweight because I have spoiled her :banghead:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So... seahorses can change color?

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
So... seahorses can change color?

yes they can. If they like a particular color they tended to try and change to that color best they could. My males would also change color the "impress" the ladies... sort of like blushing. They would tip the snout down and their face would almost go to a light tan color if the gals were watching lol. Also changed color prior to the mating dance. The females would also change for the mating dance.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The fourth picture also had some hermit crabs in it I think? I'll have to look up my aquarium photos from Key West cause I have some sea horse photos and I'm positive the sea horse was pretty much "posing".

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
The fourth picture also had some hermit crabs in it I think? I'll have to look up my aquarium photos from Key West cause I have some sea horse photos and I'm positive the sea horse was pretty much "posing".

Yes there are hermit crabs. They are so fun to watch! I have seem them swap shells (houses is what I told the kids). I used to find shells that were just a little bigger then what they had and they would "move" into a new shell (home). When you say posing are you talking about orange horse or the one on the plant to the left?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
yes they can. If they like a particular color they tended to try and change to that color best they could. My males would also change color the "impress" the ladies... sort of like blushing. They would tip the snout down and their face would almost go to a light tan color if the gals were watching lol. Also changed color prior to the mating dance. The females would also change for the mating dance.
How very cool, I learned something new today!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Yes there are hermit crabs. They are so fun to watch! I have seem them swap shells (houses is what I told the kids). I used to find shells that were just a little bigger then what they had and they would "move" into a new shell (home). When you say posing are you talking about orange horse or the one on the plant to the left?
No I was referring to a photo I have from the Key West aquarium but it'll have to wait until I get home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow. So pretty! I love fishtanks. Had them in my apt in NYC for a while. Angel fish then discus which was a failure as they are critical of water as is the salt water.

Now its just Rio & plumeria

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
I had a pair of angle fish that were a pair. I always thought they were so peaceful and elegant until...... they had eggs!!! Oh man were they protective. Anytime we would get close to the tube she laid eggs on they were in full attack modemandatory they were quick!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
we saw sea horses on the Gulf Coast and little snake in the lighted water beneath our dock. there was some huge fish that hung out by that light.