• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seagrass Smell?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I recently got a seagrass mat for Kiwi and Blizzard, and I noticed that it has a very strong smell. Kind of fruity.

I know that the seagrass that people make into baskets smells, but that's a different smell. (When I went to Charleston sc i smelled it everywhere and loved it)

Are seagrass mats supposed to smell? It doesn't seem like any kind of chemical smell, just much more fruity and fragrant than I expected. I really wasn't expecting a smell at all.

Here's a photo of the mat, it's from superbird creations (the birds haven't used it yet, it's hung outside of the cage):
20200606_142946.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've definitely noticed an odor, and kind of sweet fruity is how I'd explain it. They don't smell bad, just like dried plant fiber. To me anyway!

Vittror

Jogging around the block
The webshop where I order supplies for my birds has a toy made with seagrass listed.
In the description it says ''this toy is mostly made of sweet seagrass which parrots love.''
Other than that I wouldn't know, haven't bought seagrass mats for my birds yet.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hmmm, not sure! Usually they have a musty, almost Alfalfa smell to me
I’m really not sure what alfalfa smells like :lol:

I've definitely noticed an odor, and kind of sweet fruity is how I'd explain it. They don't smell bad, just like dried plant fiber. To me anyway!
I would also say that it’s a sweet fruit smell, it might just be that I don’t find all “fruity smells“ to be good smells. It‘s probably fine, but I don’t know where in the cage to put it yet.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I’m really not sure what alfalfa smells like :lol:

I would also say that it’s a sweet fruit smell, it might just be that I don’t find all “fruity smells“ to be good smells. It‘s probably fine, but I don’t know where in the cage to put it yet.
Ahh, yes I know what you mean. As long as it doesn't have spots or anything weird I'm sure it's fine. My two linnies absolutely love seagrass.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ahh, yes I know what you mean. As long as it doesn't have spots or anything weird I'm sure it's fine. My two linnies absolutely love seagrass.
Where do you put them in your cage? I don't know where to put mine yet.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Where do you put them in your cage? I don't know where to put mine yet.
I have a plain mat hanging on the side of their cage. Sometimes I weave things into it. They used to have a swing like what is in your picture but they destroyed it haha I hung it near the top of their cage under a toy.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same time as you @Leih Gigi likes her seagrass mat that I have on the outside of her cage. But look at the top left area, I have a round ring that is hung like your seagrass and it fits nicely in the corner of the cage. And I'll add, I think it smells a bit too, like hay.

1591483524820.jpeg

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks!

@Dona I was actually considering that foraging wall you have, but I chose this one instead.

@Leih I will probably hang it in one of the top corners, hopefully they're not too scared of it. It will be the highest thing in the cage, so maybe one of them will roost on it when they get comfortable with it.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Yep, they do have a smell, sometimes more than others. I get the superbird ones and there is always some smell but nothing dangerous or bad.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Very nice cage setup! :heart:
Thanks! I moved a lot of it around today to do some cleaning, so here's a photo of the new setup:
15915745293791642023969.jpg

The small blue cage is their outside cage.

I'm not sure wether they like it or hate it when the boing spins while landing on top :lol: