• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scritches

Remy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Im so sorry, I post too much.

Though, I was wondering, will my cockatiel ever let me give them scritches? She/He is around 1 and half months old, and were starting to form a bond, though she doesn't prefer to be touched at this stage, she still pretty cautious.

Do you think once I gain some more trust she might ask for some scritches?

Hope this makes sense! <3

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Some birds love scritches some don’t.

Burt loves them twice as much when he’s got pins he can’t easily get but he’s also twice as fast to grump if I accidentally knock a feather the wrong way :lol:

Hopefully with time your bird will at least let you get the odd scritch in here and there, if not I am sure you’ll find a little thing that is special just between you two. :)

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Hopefully with time your bird will at least let you get the odd scritch in here and there, if not I am sure you’ll find a little thing that is special just between you two. :)
Thankyou Shezbug! How should I approach/try and attempt patting them? Whenever i put my finger on the cage she nibbles it :lol:
What are the signs that they dont want scritches? <3

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She will try to avoid your finger, duck, hiss or bite if she doesn’t want your finger near her head. If she wants scratches she will sit still and bow her head. I would give it more time, but if she seems willing, you could try holding some millet in one hand and petting her with the other.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Never hesitate to ask questions. That's one of the main reasons the forum is here. As said, not all birds are cuddly. But my guess is given some time, your tiel will like scratches. :)

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Never hesitate to ask questions. That's one of the main reasons the forum is here. As said, not all birds are cuddly. But my guess is given some time, your tiel will like scratches. :)
Thank you so much! <3

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You can train them to allow a pet for a treat in the future , once the bird is abit older and more food motivated to see if they like it.

Now I would start by gently touching the birds beak and cheeks . It seems less intrusive for them, hands can be scary especially if they come from above like a predator. Slow exposure :) like touch the beak for one second, then give a treat or present a favourite toy . If they seem ok with that, do it a few times a day. In a few days try rubbing the beak a little longer. If they seem ok with that, in a few days try touching the cheek a little.

When I first got my tiel I didn’t know if she liked head touches so I kept it simple . She just stood there while I did it, not showing me if she liked or didn’t like it. Turns out she did like it, because a couple of weeks later she would bow her head when I started. At first my tiel loved her beak rubs more then anything! Now she’s in love with chin and nose rubs more then anything lol.

Last edited:

Remy

Real Name
Jaz Tutt
Thankyou all! Sorry Teil fethers! I didnt see your post! Ill keep an eye out for that! Thankyou Tara! I will give that a try! <3

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes

I got mine used to it by pairing a treat and a head brush. And one day, I randomly offered a scratch and he let me.