• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screen Porch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justina

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Justina
Well I am moving to a new place starting April 15th. :dance4: It's going to be a long drawn out process because we will have overlapping leases and my boyfriend would rather eat slugs than pack or move. I am extremely excited because even though it is a smaller place I think it will be better for Roxy. Right now I feel like she gets isolated a lot because of the way the house is set up. The new place is really open and she will be able to see what everyone is doing at all times.

The other reason I'm excited is because there is a huge screened in porch. I can just picture myself sitting there in the morning with Roxy, "watching the world go by" as my grandma says. I don't know anything about screened porches and bird safety though. I have no idea what the screening is made out of... probably something bad. The only thing I know I would have to do is put a lock on the inside of the door so no one thoughtlessly opens the door while we are in there.

Does anyone have any ideas or inventions that will help keep Roxy safe in there? Right now all I can do for her is bring her out in a cage, because she hates any type of harness I try. I can't do anything drastic, because I'm just renting. I wanna see if any of you extremely creative and imaginative people have any ideas though;)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
We have a screen porch and my birds love to hang out in there and listen to all of the birds outside chirping. In fact we are all sitting out there right now :)
I have a playstand out there that they hang out on. This summer I am planning on hanging their net out there along with a boing.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
would love to see a pic of your porch

I was thinking a boing, playstand, a couple of hanging nets

if you are concerned about the screen itself, then you want lots of things to keep the interest away from the screen itself :)

Justina

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Justina
Yes I was most concerned with the screen. I guess we wont be spending all of our time out there, so I'll just have to keep her attention elsewhere and we will be okay. Right? We are going to be living right next to the landlord, I bet she will start looking at me weird when I have all these strange contraptions set up all around my porch! The landlord was so worried about the dogs doing damage. I told her we had a bird, she just ignored that part and said it was fine. I bet she was thinking tiny bird that stays in a cage all day, I wasn't going to correct her though.

I am SO excited! I have been wanting to make a net for Roxy but haven't had a place to put it. I guess I do now!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Roxy will love being outside in the fresh air. I have never had any problem with mine going near the screens. Just keep the play stands or what ever you have out there far enough away so they can't get at them.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Before we added a sunroom, I had a screened in gazebo on our deck. I had a playstand with tons of toys and bowls as well as a table top stand on the table. I never had any problems, but just made sure I was in there with them when they were out there.

A screened porch like you mentioned will be much more durable and safe. What a nice space for birds!

At my parent's cottage in Maine, we have a screened porch and I hang a boing, a hanging gym and a t- stand between them. Nani hangs out there all day , no problem! She does not even bother with the screen.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I was soooo close to convincing my husband to screen in our covered porch so I could put a stand out there for our Baby IRN......then we found out this week we are moving...no covered deck where we are....Im looking into a sunroom kit now, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.