• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screeching when flying?

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
My little white winged parakeet has had her wings clipped since I got her about a month ago: now it seems like she's actually able to fly! When she does, she doesn't usually go very far. She usually flies to my shoulder if I'm across the room or from the top of her cage to the top of my bunk bed, but a lot of times when she flies, she screeches while she's doing it! She sounds distressed and frantic, but once she lands she always is happy and content. She flies really nicely so I'm not sure what the issue is, she doesn't seem like she's struggling or anything. She also has started making little tiny chirps once she lands, and only does it after she flies: it's a new sound she's making which I'm trying to figure out what it means! Why do birds do this, and is it typical? I also noticed today after she landed, she was flicking her right wing a little bit, but stopped after a few seconds. Does this mean she maybe injured herself, or is it maybe because she isn't really used to flying around?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they get spooked, they will yell while flying. Otherwise, it's likely just a flock behavior. Think of it like turn signals in a car ;)