• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone, for the past few months my budgie Bloo has had a screaming problem. He never used to do this, but now he often shrieks as loud as he can over and over again no matter what I do. I don’t mind the noise of birds, but this is excessive and so loud I can hear it even when I am outside and fairly far from the house. I worry he is upset about something, but I don’t know what. Nothing has changed. I have tried ignoring it while reinforcing his better behavior, I have tried redirecting, we have foraging toys, we learn new tricks, I play music for him, we play. He is enriched and gets plenty of exercise, but still the screaming persists. He has also been a little more agressive and territorial, and has regurgitated food onto bells a couple times, when he has Never regurgitated before. I don’t know what to do anymore. I am looking into avicalm, does anyone think this will help or have any advice?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has he always been a solo budgie? Knowing a bit more about his history may help.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Has he always been a solo budgie? Knowing a bit more about his history may help.
Yes, he always has been. I spend as much time as I can with him, at least 8 hours a day, but I worry it’s not enough. However, it’s always been this way and he was never screaming like this until a few months ago

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone, for the past few months my budgie Bloo has had a screaming problem. He never used to do this, but now he often shrieks as loud as he can over and over again no matter what I do. I don’t mind the noise of birds, but this is excessive and so loud I can hear it even when I am outside and fairly far from the house. I worry he is upset about something, but I don’t know what. Nothing has changed. I have tried ignoring it while reinforcing his better behavior, I have tried redirecting, we have foraging toys, we learn new tricks, I play music for him, we play. He is enriched and gets plenty of exercise, but still the screaming persists. He has also been a little more agressive and territorial, and has regurgitated food onto bells a couple times, when he has Never regurgitated before. I don’t know what to do anymore. I am looking into avicalm, does anyone think this will help or have any advice?
just now he was playing with the pop socket on my phone, and when i would touch it he would bite my hands and face very hard. he spit up a regurgitated seed in the middle of this as well. never has acted so protective of the toys he likes before.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure what to suggest then. I wondered if he was in mourning. Clearly not. Maybe someone else will know.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
How old is Bloo? I could be totally wrong, but could this be hormonal behavior? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will jump in with some advice?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Are you sure he is upset when he screams ? One of my little budgies is very vocal but indeed- he is a screecher. He gets screechy when he is happy or excited. We definitely know the difference between his excited screech and his cranky grumble.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Have you already tried the usual for a hormonal bird-- decreasing daylight hours, re-arranging the whole cage? If shiny surfaces are particularly stimulating right now, I'd personally trade those toys out for a different kind.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Have you already tried the usual for a hormonal bird-- decreasing daylight hours, re-arranging the whole cage? If shiny surfaces are particularly stimulating right now, I'd personally trade those toys out for a different kind.
I have decreased daylight hours, but it is hard to find a balance between doing that and being able to spend time with him because of my work schedule. We rearrange his cage frequently, and take out toys he becomes too fixated on, but there is always some sort of bell toy in there, so maybe I will eliminate them all together.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Are you sure he is upset when he screams ? One of my little budgies is very vocal but indeed- he is a screecher. He gets screechy when he is happy or excited. We definitely know the difference between his excited screech and his cranky grumble.
I think it is an upset noise, it sounds distinctly different than his excited screeches.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
How much time does he get outside the cage interacting with you? Not just having you there but actually interacting with him?
About 4 days a week it is the entire time he is awake, unless he chooses to be in his cage. The rest of the days it is about 7 hours. Anytime anyone is home he is out, and even if we are not playing, he is on a shoulder being talked to and taken around the house.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
He certainly isn't lacking in exercise or companionship then. I would put it to hormones and perhaps his attempt at exerting dominance. The biting should be met with you putting him off you immediately and a sharp "no". 12-13 hrs of sleep a night. See if this helps. It might just be that he has found a scream that he likes. I know it's hard but try not to react to it. It is quite possible that it will pass.