• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming, Weaning Baby Cockatiel

Erin518

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Erin Seppi
Hey guys! Currently, hand-feeding about a 6-week old cockatiel named Manny. He has been doing great so far but I have found he does not show much interest in his seed throughout the day. Sometimes he nibbles on millet but not too much of it. He also screams a lot of the day when he sees me ( I feed him), right before he eats and sometimes randomly throughout the day as well. His siblings have already moved to 2 feedings a day but Manny is still at 3.

I am just curious as to how long this "baby behavior" lasts and if there is any way to prevent the amount of screaming he does. Also, if anyone has any advice as to how to encourage him to eat his seed that would be helpful! Thanks so much in advance for any input :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby birds move at their own rate when it comes to weaning. Just continue to offer him a variety of foods.
Are you only offering seed and millet? It's a good idea to offer other foods such as moistened (with warm water) and softened pellets, cooked veggies and small pieces of fruit (such as apple and pear).

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Erin and Manny :starshower:

At 6 weeks old, he´s only half way to the average weaning age (12 weeks), so it´s ok he´s not too interested in foods right now. Nibbling on a little is ok progress.

Baby birds move at their own rate when it comes to weaning. Just continue to offer him a variety of foods.
Exactly :)

Erin518

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Erin Seppi
Welcome to the Avenue Erin and Manny :starshower:

At 6 weeks old, he´s only half way to the average weaning age (12 weeks), so it´s ok he´s not too interested in foods right now. Nibbling on a little is ok progress.

Exactly :)
Okay good! Thank you for the reassurance! I have tried offering some veggies and fruit but not much interest. I will try to make it more of a habit now. Also just bought some pellets so I will incorporate that into his diet asap! Thanks so much guys!!