• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
So lately, I've started to give the birds a small tiny piece of walnut every time I leave the room. That calms them down. I'm not sure if I am asking for behaviour issues with this later on... but it's working so far lol.
But if they are screaming (by they it's mostly douglas) I leave the room without giving them a treat and only come back when they make nice whistling noises.

Now the problem is Douglas has caught on pretty quickly what gets me back. But Kyoko does not. Now I have to grab Douglas when he is good, and both of us have to wait outside while we wait for Kyoko to get it... lol.
Kyoko can flock call for HOURS. When I am in the shower, she will call the WHOLE time. It's pretty crazy, and it's her that irritates people the most since it's just a repetitive call that can go on forever. Honestly, I find her noise less annoying than Douglas, but that's just me.

Slowly but surely we are gaining some progress :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laughing12:One down and one to go!! Baby steps Ming!! You done good!:D

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
That's great!!
I would give Darwin a chunk of millet before I would leave the room, and it would distract him for a bit too. I just mix it up now, sometimes I give him a treat others I don't. He got a lot better for a while, but we took a few steps backward after we went on a trip for two weeks and left him at home with the family...he developed a little bit of separation anxiety. On top of that, we brought home another bird not too long ago so he calls quite a bit now. But I feel like that will decrease after a while, as long as we don't encourage his screaming.
I am happy you are having progress with your birds!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo also will flock call for hours.... I feel your pain. I don't have any sage advice except doing what you are doing! :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Keep it up! You're doing great!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay! I hope Kyoto catches on soon. I am glad you are making headway.

Status
Not open for further replies.