• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming Indian Ringnecks

Serena

Moving in
Hello, I am an owner of two Indian Ringnecks, one is 2 1/2 years old and female (Tink) and the other is 1 1/2 years old and a male (Indigo). I know that Indian Ringnecks tend to scream, but mine scream enough that it stresses me out as I live at home and they really annoy my family (and me). I wake up to them screaming in the morning and then whenever they know that I am around or if I enter the room they scream. I even hear them screaming right as I pull into the garage when I get home. I don't know how to correct his behavior, as I know that it's not because of food, cage size, playtime, and lack of toys. They are flighted and love to land on top of all of the curtains in the house, and I know how to train them pretty well, but they get out of control in the house sometimes. Indigo himself is fine outside of the cage, but Tink will scream to come out as well. Tink does not listen and come to me as well as Indigo does unless she suspects that I have food or a treat. Indigo screams when I just take her out and not him. If they are both out, Indigo will follow Tink wherever she goes and they will scream for each other while landing on the curtains in the house. I have been trying to work on a method to keep them on their perches outside of the cage, but it is not working very well and they tend to ignore me when they are together. They do a little dance to each other when they are together, so I can see that they could potentially become mates, which I do not want at this time. This could be why I'm having a hard time controlling them when they are together. Tink also loves to land on our couch and stick her head between the cushions and is very territorial when I try to get her off. She tends to bite more in those situations. I'm at a loss with what to do to stop the unnecessary screaming for me almost all of the time. I am the main one in my family who takes care of them and takes them out to train and play, so that may be a factor as well. They definitely get plenty of time out of the cage, but it seems like they are always demanding more and I wouldn't give up now and rehome them, I just want to solve this somehow in order to help prevent so much stress around them. I love them, but they really stress me out when they scream so much and I can't seem to fix it when my family is upset about the noise. Any advice on what to do would be amazing.
(Pictures: Indigo on the left and Tink on the right)

Attachments

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Number one Get headphones your stress is just making the situation worse Number to make it diary of when they scream and what is going on when they scream outside inside the whole environment it’ll be pretty big at first but maybe you can start isolating reasons for their screams number three list what you do every time they scream this might help you find a pattern that you can change to stop the screaming as much the next thing you can do is find a sound that you like and always reward them give them attention give them food for making that sound

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pamela Clark has some good articles online

Solutions for Screaming Parrots

berries

Strolling the yard
Get them separate cages as well if they are housed together, which from your wording it seems like they are. Once you’ve identified some reasons for the screaming as mentioned above the next step would be to determine if the reasons are behavioral or from a need not being met (if that makes sense). If it’s behavioral make sure you aren’t rewarding the noise with your attention or treats to try and quiet them. If it’s a need not being met or there’s something going on in the room that upsets or scares them! remedying that will help greatly.

Serena

Moving in
Pamela Clark has some good articles online

Solutions for Screaming Parrots

I will definitely check those out. Thank you!