• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming for me

Babycaique

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tanya
Ok so, will my baby Caique grow out of this or is it a lifetime thing??? She plays and eats and is fine until she sees me or I walk in the room, then she continuously screams for me. Even when I leave the room she continues. Once she sees me, that’s it for a while, just screaming. I don’t run to her and hold her or respond to her screaming, I try to ignore it and only get her out when she is calm but I don’t know why she continues to do it. Will she grow out of it or always be this way. She does not do it to my partner or anyone else????

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well her screaming is followed by your attention
Shes getting what she wants, why should she change her screaming

You need to choose a whistle and use it all the time round her. ESPECIALLY morning and night, when the flock is called together

When she whistles it back to you, (eventually) you come a running, with a reward
TRY to ignore the screaming

I have 13 caiques, all using the wolf whistle as their flock call. There is SOME screaming, but it is hormone season after all

My baby says "I'm a lil birdie" all day, because he said it once and I rewarded him lavishly
He sits in the garden repeating im a lil birdie, happy as a clam. NO SCREAMING

But most caiques prefer the whistle. That will be your new flock call

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
I’m not giving her attention when she screams at all. I ignore her and go in another room. I only get her out and play with her when she is quiet. I will def try the whistle though. So I whistle and if she whistles back I reward her? Is that what your saying? She is about 5-6 months old. Her eyes has not really started turning red or anything.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I’m not giving her attention when she screams at all. I ignore her and go in another room. I only get her out and play with her when she is quiet. I will def try the whistle though. So I whistle and if she whistles back I reward her? Is that what your saying? She is about 5-6 months old. Her eyes has not really started turning red or anything.
Yes you reward all behaviors which you like, and ignore the bad. It will create massive change over time, and also works very well on humans!!

She does not need to live in your ear. she just needs to know you are close by, doing your thing, and she will eventually relax and do her thing (mainly punching holes in your furniture) lol

Reactions: tka

Babycaique

Real Name
Tanya
Lol ok will do my best lol
Also, was going to ask if it is ok to use dog pee pee pads for the bottom bottom tray under the bird cage. Wasn’t sure about the “scent”. I don’t smell anything but it says there is attractant on them to attract dogs to go there???

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I wiould be careful with any pads which may contain unusual fibres or disinfectant. The bird will definitely try to reach them and rip them apart anyway. I only use newspaper or similar

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol ok will do my best lol
Also, was going to ask if it is ok to use dog pee pee pads for the bottom bottom tray under the bird cage. Wasn’t sure about the “scent”. I don’t smell anything but it says there is attractant on them to attract dogs to go there???
Most of us choose to use the safest and cheapest options which in the case of bird poop catching is usually paper. Butchers, packing or newspaper are the most commonly recommended.

I wiould be careful with any pads which may contain unusual fibres or disinfectant. The bird will definitely try to reach them and rip them apart anyway. I only use newspaper or similar
I believe they may be the puppy pads with synthetic pheromones that are being talked about.

Reactions: tka