• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming BW pionus baby...

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's that posture and head movement that seems like baby feeding motions, yes? With the sound, it could be confused, but I can see how the one on the right doesn't want to be approached much less touched from above like that. Did I interpret that right?
I know it's sounds cute but that is the saddest sound a Pi can make.
If you watch the video you can see that the BH to the right that is making the sound doesn't want to be touch either.
I call that sound a baby anguish sound.
They are making the sound when they are scared/worried and want to remind us that they are babies and not a threat to us and we should be gently to them.
If I had a baby making that sound every time it sees me I would have return it to the breeder. No way that I wanted to put more anxiety to what it already have.
And also I would never hand-feed a baby that was afraid of me if I had other options. That is not a good start.

@rookspook If you can't return him to the breeder, let a avian vet check him again.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@camelotshadow The video isn't of the breeder she got the baby from. It's just a video that shows the sound that Baby Bronzewing makes

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@camelotshadow The video isn't of the breeder she got the baby from. It's just a video that shows the sound that Baby Bronzewing makes
Thanks, I am aware that its just a video of some blue head pionus to try to demonstrate what the baby sounds like.
I have not listened to it. Eloy must have heard some other sounds that concern her.
Rose seems to be frustrated with loud vocals throughout the day.

It would be helpful to get a vid of the baby & some of the vocals & behavior but of course that could stress it further.

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
I just woke up and did my morning routine. As usual the baby was quiet up until he heard me moving around in the house. He made a different noise this time though! Two short "keh". Sounded like a contact call... I responded. He made the begging noise.

I made him his formula and as soon as I got into the room the begscreams started. He gets out of the cage and onto the towel I use to feed him on his own. He climbs down and sits there begging LOUDLY while bobbing his head. He knows how he's fed I suppose. I weighed him before feeding. He weighed in on 200grams today. I fed him. After the feeding he climbed over me for a minute and then flew off to his favourite "perch" high up in the room. Never stopping the begging noise... Not screaming anymore though.

But he seems less prone to the begscream in the morning. @Eloy you have me a bit worried saying it's an anguish noise. I always heard and was told it's begging for food/attention.

I made a video of him perched and begging after feeding (couldn't really film during feeding because I kinda need both hands already)... I'll upload it later in the day and maybe make some more of the actual begscreaming.

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Uploaded two vids I made about an hour ago. With about half an hour in-between.

Please pardon my Engrish in these vids :tongue2:

This is after he got his feeding. Like I said in the previous post he flew off to perch there. I walked over with my phone and talked to him.

This is about half an hour after the first. He was chillin and preening, but like I explain in the vid, as soon as I move or even breathe loudly he begs at me (he's still doing this).

Hope these vids help. I'll try to capture some more with the begscreaming later in the day, since he seems to do it more as the day progresses...

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'll listen to them in my bedroom later as I never want to scare my guys,,,

Does he weigh 200 grams each morning before feeding? What did he weigh at the vet? Did the vet say he was a good weight?

This was the guy that was almost mine but I got cancer...
He was the last to wean & took him over 4 months...
I noted he was 11 weeks in the photo but I could be mistaken as I think he was 4 months...

Bronze Wing approx 11 weeks.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Is he wet under his tail? Looks younger to me. Looks like begging...

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Does he weigh 200 grams each morning before feeding? What did he weigh at the vet? Did the vet say he was a good weight?
Yes the vet said he was healthy. And that I shouldn't worry much if he fluctuates a bit on his weigh ins. I think it was 212grams at the vets? But he did get fed before.

This was the guy that was almost mine but I got cancer...
He was the last to wean & took him over 4 months...
That must have been so hard on you! Hope your health has improved since, and that you are able to get your own dream BW soon...

That baby looks a lot older...and very beautiful. But at 13 weeks i still have a while to go I suppose? If that bird weaned at 4 months I have at least 4 weeks of scream begging ahead of me (oh dear)...

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Is he wet under his tail? Looks younger to me. Looks like begging...
Yes he is wet under his tail. It's water xD He makes quite the fuss before feeding and runs over his bowls... Including the water bowl. He runs back and foreward in the front side of his cage (near the door) and "mops" the place all over.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes the vet said he was healthy. And that I shouldn't worry much if he fluctuates a bit on his weigh ins. I think it was 212grams at the vets? But he did get fed before.

That must have been so hard on you! Hope your health has improved since, and that you are able to get your own dream BW soon...

That baby looks a lot older...and very beautiful. But at 13 weeks i still have a while to go I suppose? If that bird weaned at 4 months I have at least 4 weeks of scream begging ahead of me (oh dear)...

That's ok they will flucuate & they lose before they fly but your guy is past that. 212 seems a bit low though but I guess an adult gains muscle etc & shoudl be more like 220 or 230 but all birds are individuals & some are smaller of bigger.
That baby was born Oct 12 2016 & was not weaned Feb 27 2017 yet...He was a stubborn one. I think the others weaned earlier. I got the photo about a week or two earlier so I think he was 4 months in that photo but somehow I wrote 11 weeks...

I'm OK now & I got my 22 year old hawkhead. My Penny is a Hawkhead at over 260 grams. I am happy with my flock & won't look actively for a BW but if one flew in I would not turn it away...:rofl:

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yes he is wet under his tail. It's water xD He makes quite the fuss before feeding and runs over his bowls... Including the water bowl. He runs back and foreward in the front side of his cage (near the door) and "mops" the place all over.
Well least there is a reason...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
He definitely looks young and it both sounds and looks like begging to me. I have a friend who has been hand feeding a G2 for months and her begging is exactly how you describe your baby’s, the second she sees or hears anyone she begins crying. It never stops, it’s just this prolonged agonizing croaking scream, big gasp, repeat. She can eat on her own, but she begs and begs every/anyone to feed her even when she’s just been fed and has a visibly full crop! I would have lost my mind in days. Did your vet give you any advice on your baby’s development? Was the doc concerned at all about anything?

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
He definitely looks young and it both sounds and looks like begging to me.
The vet agreed that he's about 12 weeks... That was last week... Do you guys think he's younger?

It never stops, it’s just this prolonged agonizing croaking scream, big gasp, repeat. She can eat on her own, but she begs and begs every/anyone to feed her even when she’s just been fed and has a visibly full crop! I would have lost my mind in days.
That's so good to hear. Such a relief. Mine does the same thing. And it is kind of making me lose my mind... Hence me being worried and asking for advice.

Did your vet give you any advice on your baby’s development? Was the doc concerned at all about anything?
He said baby was healthy and I should keep feeding him formula, more than I had been. He wasn't worried about anything. Just keep feeding and loving on him. Except that the baby had quite the bit of formula on him (still from the breeders, I tried to clean him the day before but stopped when he got stressed). I managed to clean most off since, but spills happen to me too...
Yesterday he accidentally threw the formula cup on the floor... It got everywhere...

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
That's ok they will flucuate & they lose before they fly but your guy is past that. 212 seems a bit low though but I guess an adult gains muscle etc & shoudl be more like 220 or 230 but all birds are individuals & some are smaller of bigger.
I don't think he really flew much at the breeder to be honest. She seemed scared that he'd fly into a window or something. He flies with me, even flies after me when I leave the room sometimes. I have no intention of clipping him either. I just took a vid of him flying around. He is learning to descend, and making sharp turns. I could post the video if you like?

I'm OK now & I got my 22 year old hawkhead. My Penny is a Hawkhead at over 260 grams. I am happy with my flock & won't look actively for a BW but if one flew in I would not turn it away...:rofl:
Good to hear! Hawkheads are gorgeous! So beautiful. And who knows! Maybe a BW finds its way into your life ;) I didn't expect to have my BW untill next year, bit things just seemed to click onto place... Now if he could just quiet his begscreams a teeny little bit... :tongue2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
On first blush as I watch the videos it seems as if you are encouraging the bird to be vocal by your responses. Just an observation.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
I would have to agree with @Lady Jane, kinda sounds like he/she is just communicating with you.

Wow, he’s really up there high. Does he have good balance at this young age?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Definitely Pionus begging. May be distress or hunger. And yes they are that loud. Did your vet take crop cultures. How does his/her poop look. I am wondering if he/she is not getting enough nourishment even if he/she is getting proper feedings. If he has an infection in his crop he may not be getting all the nutrients he needs. He also may need smaller, more frequent feedings.
@Jan do you have any input.

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
Wow, he’s really up there high. Does he have good balance at this young age?
Yes! He never fell off once, preens himself and scratches his head on there standing on one foot... Not a problem. His flying is pretty good too. He usually does a few laps around the room, descending and landing still needs some practice but he is really getting good.

Definitely Pionus begging. May be distress or hunger. And yes they are that loud.
I didn't expect them to be THIS loud... Still some surprises even after tons of research. Pretty sure my neighbors really don't like me right now xD

Did your vet take crop cultures.
No... No cultures no blood work or anything. Didn't want to stress the bird out more (or get me a huge unnecessary bill).

How does his/her poop look. I am wondering if he/she is not getting enough nourishment even if he/she is getting proper feedings.
The poop looks good I think. Pretty large brown "worms" surrounded by a bit of white and clear fluid. I could take a poopy picture?

rookspook

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rose
The evening begscreams have begun...
I fed him his evening meal. And this did nothing to settle his screaming. I returned him to his cage and covered it (it's almost bedtime anyway) so seeing me wouldn't trigger him.
I tried putting on the radio but whenever there were voices talking this seemed to set him off again.

Switched to Spotify skipping through songs and found that anything with a heavy guitar quiets him... Especially the new TOOL album... Might I have just found my babys name I wonder :rolleyes:

He's been quiet for the past 20 minutes now and I've managed to eat my own dinner listening to TOOL instead of begscreams... which makes my ears hurt considerably less xD

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He is younger then 13 week's or do not grow as he should.

The sounds is part begging, part baby anxiety sound.
It's not normal that he sounds like that, I say it again, take him to the avain vet. If he is sick in any way it will go fast and you will loose him.

No... No cultures no blood work or anything. Didn't want to stress the bird out more (or get me a huge unnecessary bill).
To do test are never something unnecessary.

After the feeding he climbed over me for a minute and then flew off to his favourite "perch" high up in the room. Never stopping the begging noise..
Still hungry or have some problem with crop. And are not feeling comfortable in your home that's why chosing that high up place.