• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming, biting, growling, sheesh

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I just want confirmation on this.
So Phoenix has been growling, screaming, biting me a ton these past two days. He's never super noisy, but these past two days have just been constant noise from him.
The screams come on randomly, and playing music only makes it worse.
He comes up to bite my cheek, I don't know if he's hurting me on purpose but sheesh
He also has been growling a ton. He'll be regurgitating for my nose(as he usually does) and be growling at me, he growls at his toys, etc.

Does this sound like symptoms of molting? I've noticed a ton of pins down the top of his head and on his stomach, so he's definitely still in a molt (I thought he was molting a few weeks ago when he molted one feather, but now I'm not sure)
Last vet visit was two weeks ago and he was healthy. Should I get him checked again?

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think most likely its an early start of puberty/ molting grumpiness, most parrots generally go through a bluffing phase transitioning from child age to more of an adolescent age but some of the more budgie experienced people may have better advice

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It sounds to me like he's trying to reinforce your bond. Even though it sounds like growling it's not, it's just one of the normal vocalisations. The biting, he's just trying to illicit a response from you. If you watch a M-F pair it's what they do. Be grateful he's a male. He should eventually move his attentions to your new budgie, when you'll see it all for yourself. I know it's not easy when they focus their attentions on the parront for the first time.
I would focus my budgies' attentions onto my hands. It doesn't hurt anywhere near as much and you can interact with him. You may even get to do some beak tapping with a fingernail and give him the response he's looking for.
I'm going through this right now with Dustie, and can tell you for sure a female's beak is a lot stronger than a male's. But having that interaction is very rewarding for both of us.

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It sounds to me like he's trying to reinforce your bond. Even though it sounds like growling it's not, it's just one of the normal vocalisations. The biting, he's just trying to illicit a response from you. If you watch a M-F pair it's what they do. Be grateful he's a male. He should eventually move his attentions to your new budgie, when you'll see it all for yourself. I know it's not easy when they focus their attentions on the parront for the first time.
I would focus my budgies' attentions onto my hands. It doesn't hurt anywhere near as much and you can interact with him. You may even get to do some beak tapping with a fingernail and give him the response he's looking for.
I'm going through this right now with Dustie, and can tell you for sure a female's beak is a lot stronger than a male's. But having that interaction is very rewarding for both of us.
Is that why he has these “sword fights” with me? :roflmao: He flicks my nose with his beak, and gets hyped when I do it back