• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

scrawny quaker?

sourbirdy

Moving in
hi its me again, this time im asking about another bird though!

my sister also has a quaker, though her and onion look so different. we thought her bird (pepper) was just ugly but she asked if i could ask avian avenue if she looks alright! ^^,

shes also four months and has been doing fine, shes just extra scrawny and kinda dark.

3393F04F-57C6-4E8C-842E-BB3E2AA680AD.jpeg 771DB683-EE20-42D8-84E5-F29D7CD98B72.jpeg

the bigger bird is onion and the smaller one is pepper! shes acting fine just, looks like that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Forgive me for the many questions. Both Onion & Pepper are 4 months old? I'm asking because Pepper still has a kind of "baby look" to him. Are they both being fed the same thing and do they have separate cages? IF they live together, Onion may be hogging the food or not letting Pepper eat. My Quakers steal the millet sprigs from the cockateils to build their nests. If you hold Pepper, you can probably feel her breast bone, but does she feel skinny on either side of that bone? Our vet, Dr. Sakas (RIP) had told me to feel the breast bone but to also check the amount of flesh on either side before stating that a bird is too skinny. How long has Pepper lived with you? IF Pepper is fairly new to living with you, he may have regressed to being a baby & might need a feeding.

Last edited:

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Pepper does look younger than Onion. Are you certain that they're both the same age? I don't see any issues with Pepper's coloration; there's quite a lot of variation in coloring among standard green QPs.
Have you and your sister set up "new bird" vet visits for Pepper and Onion? It's usually recommended to do that within the first few weeks of acquiring a new parrot. That would be the best way of assuring that all is well with Pepper.