• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scratching and destroying feathers

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hi guys! I have a hen lovebird and she scratches feathers near her eye and beak so bad that she ends up with a bald spot.
At first we thought it was a molt and then we realized her nails were too sharp. Because of covid the service for trimming nails was closed at our oet store so we waited too long. Once the nails situation was ok ans the molt stopped the feathers grew back. Of course we were doing everything we can to distract her playing with her dancing with her, Giving her toys anytime ahe was about to scratch. We removed all the peddi perches from her cage cause she was rubbing her face on it which didnt help. So the feathers grew back completely and now its starting again!

Could it be hormonal ou some kind of plucking?

Is there something I can put directly on the feathers and bald spot to help her? I read about coconut oil being good but not sure if its to be added in the diet or to be applied in the bird.

Skittles is 1yr. She is our only bird so no mate. She is always out of her cage and has a lot of attention and fun all day. She has a strict routine though and is always in her bed by 8:30.

apart from this problem she is really healthy and has really nice feathers and colors. We don't give too much treats so she eats mainly pellets and veggies.

Attachments

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Also does she have toys to play with?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have noticed sparce feathers near the eye/beak of Aldora and Lapis during moults sometimes. I will attach a photo, but if you are unsure you can always converse with your vet to be sure all is OK.
http://instagr.am/p/Bzx0Jz6onnl/

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
I have noticed sparce feathers near the eye/beak of Aldora and Lapis during moults sometimes. I will attach a photo, but if you are unsure you can always converse with your vet to be sure all is OK.
http://instagr.am/p/Bzx0Jz6onnl/
Yeah thats a bit like that but it gets worse and theres bald spots sonetimes.

its really hard to find an avian vet in quebec city. Unfortunately we dont have one. Theres an emergencyavisn hospital 3hrs away butI dont think that is an emergency since it grows back.

I just wanted to know if theres anything safe I can apply or if I can add something to her diet.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Does your bird eat pellets? If not I would try incorporate them.
Also, a good variety of vegetables if your bird will eat them, dark leafy greens as well as orange/red vegetables.
I don´t apply anything topically to my birds.
Be sure you are offering bathing opportunities :)

If the sparceness doesn´t go away in time after the moult is over, then I would consider the long journey, or at least emailing the vet to see what they think.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Does your bird eat pellets? If not I would try incorporate them.
Also, a good variety of vegetables if your bird will eat them, dark leafy greens as well as orange/red vegetables.
I don´t apply anything topically to my birds.
Be sure you are offering bathing opportunities :)

If the sparceness doesn´t go away in time after the moult is over, then I would consider the long journey, or at least emailing the vet to see what they think.
Yep eats pellets everyday. Barely any seeds or millet. Only rewards when training her. Eats plenty of greens but not that many orange.
She bathes everyday too.
As I said it always grows back so Im not that worried I would just like to find something to help her out more in case someone had the same thing and had ideas of things to help etc.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
I finally managed to get an appointment at a Vet a manageable distance. Its only in 3 weeks though. Im nervous to find out whats up with Skit and if she is ok or if she has so kind of sickness. She has no other symptoms then loss of feather due to scratching but we never know.

I wonder if its hormonal though Or simply due to a really Bad molt.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. Its only in 3 weeks though
In the meantime, take pictures daily or every two days and keep a photo diary of your birds plumage. Then you can show the vet in a few weeks.
Hope all goes well

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
So I finally got my appointment at the vet!

she did and exam. Took skin or bacteria samples on Skittles skin under her beak to see if there was a chance of bacteria and infection but it all came back good. She gave us some desinfectant to apply 2x a day on the skin under her beak to prevent infection but its just a precaution and to help the bit of scaring there. Other than that the skin looks healthy. She also gave us something to boost her in omega3.

Her opinion is that its some kind of trauma like a really bad molt and excessive scratching that resulted in this. She was a bIt concerned too that Skittles developed a tic of preening/trimming her nails. She thinks this is not helping and damaging the feathers so we need to try to break this behavior. We were already trying as this was what I suspected was the issue. But we will use a nail file in the future to make sure its never too sharp cause thats the problem she is sharpening her nails and damaging feathers around her beak in the process and some under the beak damages the follicule so won't But its mainly esthetic and she is not too worried about it. Apart from that she is in great health and a lively bird. She said she thinks she is a bit robust, i was suprised as she was 45g last time I checked but we did give her a lot of treats lately so we will slow down and do 80% pellets, 15% veggies and 5% treats for now.
All in all Im pretty glad that we went and got more tools to help Skit. Hopefully the tic will go away and the meds and diet will help some of the feathers to grow back and/or help the skin so that no infection suddenly develop.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad you got some answers :)

Foraging and toys can help with occupying your birds mind to help stop that nail biting.

She said she thinks she is a bit robust, i was suprised as she was 45g last time I checked
I´d be curious to know what your bird weighs now. 45 is not high, even for a Fischeri.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Glad you got some answers :)

Foraging and toys can help with occupying your birds mind to help stop that nail biting.

I´d be curious to know what your bird weighs now. 45 is not high, even for a Fischeri.
Yes Im distracting her and trying some foraging with her!

yes I know its like the minimum normal weight for a fisher I think I read between 45 and 55 foe fishers is usually ok. I would need to weight her again to see if it really went up in a couple weeks