• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scotch Tape

Cyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cynthia Carlon
I found this forum by searching "is scotch tape toxic to birds" and wondered if my new idea would work to close the bottom of a new cardboard box bought from UPS:

..I have a staple gun, what about using wood blocks and use a staple gun (staples would be on the outside of the box against her cage) & the wood block (on in the inside of the box) to close the bottom of the box...maybe 2-3 wood blocks to hold the bottom lids closed and placed up against her cage...Not sure what those large staples are made of but she wouldn't have access to them.
Just a thought as rope or string wouldn't last 2 seconds w/ a umbrella cockatoo.....have a long enough screw and attach a block of wood on outside as well inside the box to secure the 4 flaps closed. I lay the box on its side so she can walk into it and loves banging around in there w/ her toys or making peep windows so she doesn't have to come out to see where I am....

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
From what I’m gathering, you’re making a box for her to play in. I would advise against this. Cavity-seeking can very quickly spell trouble, because to them, that’s a nest.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome2:

Cyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Cynthia Carlon
From what I’m gathering, you’re making a box for her to play in. I would advise against this. Cavity-seeking can very quickly spell trouble, because to them, that’s a nest.
Underdtand, but she's a mutilator and a box keeps her busy....I didn't introduce her to one until about 8mo ago.....frankly they are a God send, keeps her busy and not tear up shoes, wood work...you name it....She's been totally healed the last 6mo....as for nesting....I understand it...she gives me the look that says I cannot touch as it's hers...plus I'm not a member of the club.....she makes "windows" and all I have to say is "Where's my little bird? and suddenly she's giving me the eye through one off the holes she's made w/ an expression that says it's none of your business!!!" They are masters of STINK EYE....it's so funny....She also sleeps w/ me (has for over 25yrs)which is OK as I'm not all over the bed......she has since she was abour 11/2 yrs old. The worst punishment I can dole out is making her stay in her cage instead of sleeping w/ me and my cat.....she's also out of her cage most of the time when I'm home....so when she acts up at night time, I say "no one wants to be around a mean bird!" and go to bed w/o her....All of a sudden I hear "hello" multiple times....then she tries "I Love you" and eventually gives up after I turn the lights down in my bedroom.....Also she LOVES men, if I brought home a Bf she'd kick me to the curb....the good news her flirting had talked the highway patrol from giving me a speeding ticket....when she told him "hello" then put out all her feathers, pranced around on my shoulder, and shook her tail feathers at him....he thought she was such a kick he gave my credentials back and warned me to slow down.....Also she's potty trained.

Attachments

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
To answer your original question, I doubt that scotch tape is toxic, but it might not be safe to use in this way. I would worry that she might eat a piece of tape while chewing on the box by accident. If that happens, it might cause a blockage.