• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Scooter in Shock Trauma yesterday need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry this happened. :( I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and saying a prayer for your baby. big hugs

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
None of my birds turn down POM juice. It's 100% pomegranate without sweetners so it's ok for them to have. I would try giving that with the Baytril mixed in, but make sure it's only a little bit where Scooter will drink it all and take in all the meds. That method worked for a little while with my Grey.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh my I am so sorry this happened. Let us know if you have found something that will work for you. I know I was new to giving meds and it took us a couple days to get it right. I wasnt dealing with a broken beak though. Danita told me to turn my bird so he was facing sideways on my lap instead of facing me. Then I held his head on each side with my index finger and thumb and gave him the meds from the side of his beak instead of from the front. That way he didnt push the syringe away with his tongue. I just took it slow, squirted a little and let him swallow it before attempting to give him more. I hope this helps as well as some other ideas that were in the thread. :hug8:

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
:eek: How awful!!!! I can't imagine how traumatic this is for both of you. That good news that the vet could repair the beak. I hope Scooter with some time to over come the shock will be back to her self. I do towel my birds and let them settle down for a minute before I give them the med I have to give them. It helps us all calm down. I'll be thinking of you both.:hug8:

Keep in mind that the important thing is to get Scooter well. The antibiotic is very important to getting her well. Here is a video of how I give my GWs oral meds.

ML - I think you are the macaw whisperer for sure! :D They could not be in better care than yours.

Iris

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Iris Brzezinski
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. Being so upset had me out in left field and with each post I said, Oh, now I remember I had to do it for my cockatiels when they were sick and even my Quaker when I had to give her two shots a day. I'm trying handfeeding formula mixed with baby sweet potatoes. I can't thank all of you enough for your sound advice. I appreciate the advice that I needed to be positive with Scooter and not a basket case who was on the verge of collapse. Scooter seems so much better each hour and is now talking up a storm. And telling me, "Pretty Scooter" and I agree with her she is a beauty. And I am so much better because of all of you. All of you are very special and much loved. I feel very blessed to know all of you. big hugs, Iris

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Iris, your not alone we all get crazed when it happens to us.

Hopefully you can calm down and get back to the business of getting Scooter better each day.

Scooter is the light of your life, and I know you will do your very best in getting your pal back to his fun self.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I don't have any advice but wish you and Scooter big luck and big HUGS!!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Iris it is very understandable. No one knows how your world turns upside down when one of your birds are sick or injured until it happens to you. You are so overwhelmed and worried you just arent thinking straight. It wasnt until after Tequila was feeling better that I remembered I had a least four travel cages that would have made excellent hospital cages....I just didnt even think about it..:hug8: So glad Scooter seems to be bouncing back.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
You have already gotten wonderful advice:hug8:I just want to send healing thoughts and prayers for Scooter and a Calming:hug8:For You!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awww, poor Scooter. So glad he is on the mend. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Lots of hugs to both of you.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending you both LOTS of :hug8:healing thoughts and vibes!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Just catching up on this thread...poor Scooter and poor you.:hug8: You have gotten so much great advice here from everyone! You are doing great and Scooter will continue to improve with such a great and loving mommy!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Scooter! Poor you! I'm glad the vet was able to fix her beak. Try and stay calm when medicating. Sometimes you can offer meds mixed with a juice from a spoon or syringe. It is important though to finish up thoses meds. You are doing what is best for her.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
When my conures foot was broken I had to medicate her. She does not like to be touched anywhere except some head scritches so I had no choice but to towel her to get the job done. This video was not one of my better attempts as it was one of the first times I tried it. I got really good at it and she only had to be toweled for a minute then I immediately praised and gave a treat. I thought she would hate me forever for this but she was happy as a clam once I was done. If they need the meds they NEED the meds so you just have to do whatever it takes to get it in them. You are going to be fine. I totally freaked out when I walked into a room with feathers and blood spraying everywhere but as soon as I calmed down so did Georgia, I was able to pick her up, get her warm and get her to the vets. They really do sense your mood.

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
So glad to hear the vet got Scooter all patched up. Yep medicating birds certainly isn't a walk in the park for some. I tell my birds the same thing I used to tell my son - "I'm sorry - you don't have to like it, you just have to do it". A calm, determined attitude always helps. You'll be a medicating expert by the time it's all over and another skill in your birdie repetoire is always a good thing. Hang in both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.