• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Scooter in Shock Trauma yesterday need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iris

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Iris Brzezinski
Yesterday we had a serious emergency. Scooter (BE2) managed to break off her upper beak. Serious amounts of blood. My daughter and I rushed her to the animal hospital that does critical care for birds. They managed to get the blooding stopped and redid her upper beak. They also gave me Baytril to give to her twice a day. Her feathers are covered in blood. She is very stressed out from all that she had to go through yesterday. However today she is eating and drinking some and doing a lot of sleeping. I have a couple of questions How do I get the Baytril in her instead of all over me or her? And is there any way to get the blood out of her feathers without stressing her out more? I am also concerned with her stress level in trying to give her the antibiotic. I sure would appreciate any advice that you can give me. I cried most of the day yesterday and found myself crying again this morning. Scooter bit me twice yesterday out of sheer terror and I felt so bad that we had to stress her out more. Please help. :sad14:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Keep in mind that the important thing is to get Scooter well. The antibiotic is very important to getting her well. Here is a video of how I give my GWs oral meds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Danita has also developed some useful methods. Baytril tastes awful, so she is going not like it. There are lots of things in life that we don't like, but that are necessary. You need to try your best to stay calm and positive (i.e. don't cry) so the bird will get those vibes from you.
ML

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ohmygod Iris how terrible...I think this should be moved to 911 I dont have any advice honey just positive thoughts and prayers...:hug8:

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
:( Oh dear ... I am so sorry to hear about this. Gosh, wish I could offer help but I can't ... so I'll just send my good thoughts your way.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I moved this to the 911 section. I hope scooter is going to be ok. How much of scooters upper beak broke off?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As far as the blood in her feathers go, I would just wet a wash cloth with warm water and wipe as much as possible off of her. It may be calming to her too.
ML

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
HOLY MOLY!!!!!

I am soo sorry for Scooter. :(

That is horrifying.
Just get them in her, but having to be extra careful of her fragile beak it may be tricky.

I am so sorry we are there with you, hang in there please.

Poor Scooter.....don't worry too much about the blood right now is my guess, unless she likes what ML said then go that route. Less stress the better. :hug8:

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Oh, Iris, I'm so sorry. I have been there (not beak, toes) and I'm just aching for you. It is really rough the first few days. Pearl could get cleaned up for over a month because of the collar. She had blood and the antibiotic and messy tail feathers but boy did she and I love that first allowed shower.

I put water in another syringe for right after the medication. If Scooter loves something special you could use that. I would also give a pine nut treat.

Please keep us posted, you may find you just need to talk and get it all out, just ramble away :) So sorry :(

Iris

Real Name
Iris Brzezinski
I moved this to the 911 section. I hope scooter is going to be ok. How much of scooters upper beak broke off?
Unfortunately the beak had become very brittle and broke enough that it started to really bleed. Scooter is a seed junkie and really needs to be on a better diet. The vet would like to see her given pellets however I've tried but she won't eat them. I guess I haven't found the right pellet she spits them out and refuses to eat them. The vet was able to fix the beak so she is able to eat and drink without any problem. I'll see if I can get a picture the vets did an excellent job.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have any handfeeding formula? I always put Truely's Baytril in handfeeding forumla in either a syringe or a spoon. I mix it half and half.

Trinket takes his in light soymilk from a spoon.

Ginger

Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Did they glue it back on?
Putty it back on??

Did they have to knock her out for that?

Iris

Real Name
Iris Brzezinski
Did they glue it back on?
Putty it back on??

Did they have to knock her out for that?
Actually it wasn't as bad as that would be, sorry, I didn't make that clear. It broke up high but they were able to salvage the beak. The vet said, that she had what is known as scissors beak and they had to do work on the bottom beak too. They suspect that the problem with the beak has to do with the seed junkie diet. Today the beak looks great and she isn't having any problem with eating or drinking. However the main problem remains her stress level and probably me being so upset. She is the love of my life and I would do anything for her. Scooter is a wonderful cockatoo who makes my life awesome every single day. I love her so much. :hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
We are here for you, it is hard on the caregivers that is for sure.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I can imagine how stressful it is. Hang in there. :hug8:

Iris

Real Name
Iris Brzezinski
Do you have any handfeeding formula? I always put Truely's Baytril in handfeeding forumla in either a syringe or a spoon. I mix it half and half.

Trinket takes his in light soymilk from a spoon.

Ginger

Thanks that is a great idea. I don't think I have any handfeeding formula. Haven't had to feed baby cockatiels in a couple of years. However I can get some immediately. Thanks so much, I've been stressing out over how I was going to get the antibiotic into her.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:omg: poor baby. Glad that she is ok and that you did such a great job. That is wonderful that they were able to fix her beak. I would love to see the photos.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes! Im glad the vet was able to fix her beak. Cuddle her lots! Sending healing thoughts for both of you.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry. :hug5: It sounds like you have a wonderful vet. The resiliency that birds have is amazing. They can teach us a thing or two.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
And is there any way to get the blood out of her feathers without stressing her out more? I am also concerned with her stress level in trying to give her the antibiotic.
---------------------------------------

(((HUGS))) What I do with blood stained feathers is to take some cottonballs soaked with hyrogen peroxicide and gently blot all the blood stained feathers.

For stress my favorite is Brewers Yeast, which can be sprinkled on anything she tries to eat. For extreme stress go to a hgealth food store and see if they have Rescue Remedy. try for the spray bottle and lightly mist the air around her several times a day.

If she will eat from a spoon you might mix some forumla or her favorite food and add the meds in that way. Also...about an hour before offer her some yogurt, prior to each medicine dose.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Have been through this with a couple of my birds also....Had my vet make a "new" beak for my BFA until the new one was able to grow out...
Also have had "holes" fixed in beaks....with that said....
Keeping Scooter quiet and calm and warm right now is the first thing...she is still in shock from yesterday...warm soft food more on the liquid side right now so she can "lick" them so to speak...I find mine will eat out of a spoon or bowl and you don't have to use the syringe.....you want a couple of days for that beak to heal....
Don't worry about the blood on the feathers at this time....you want her to be less stressful and comfortable to receive this food and yes you can put the meds in to a spoon full of food, once she starts eating from the spoon...
It is very important that she gets these meds to keep any infection from inside the beak...:hug8:
YOU need to be calm and HAPPY while you are feeding her also....try to be a normal as possible, you don't want her any more stressed and you can ease her from stress by not being stressed yourself...not saying it is easy BUT your bird needs your calmness NOW!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.