• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scientists discover wild baby parrots babble like human babies (article)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some interesting (to me) research that involved wild green-rumped parrotlets...

Researchers have discovered that baby parrots babble to themselves, much like human babies do.
The parrots aren't just saying the avian equivalent of goo-goo-ga-ga. Instead, they're repeating back the bird sounds they've heard before from adults and their fellow babies.

(source)
The article also mentioned, "The discovery was made at Venezuela's Masaguaral Biological Station, home to the longest ongoing study of any wild parrot population", and I hadn't heard of them, so I am curious to discover more.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Had a friend whose Starling could talk... Wondering about a baby Robin we're rescuing [nest blew down, and 'she' has a bad leg] could talk?

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Had a friend whose Starling could talk... Wondering about a baby Robin we're rescuing [nest blew down, and 'she' has a bad leg] could talk?
I'd suggest brininging her to a wildlife rehab center. And from my experience of raising a baby robin (she had epilepsy, so the rescue let me care for her since she was only expected to live 2 months), no, they do not talk.