• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scents you and pink zebra fragrance sprinkles

Sadie1986

Moving in
Ok are these safe to use around a parrot? I have read a lot of postings saying no on scentsy but pink zebra are soy but I still am very un sure I do not want to use if they are dangerous

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you post a link to show exactly what these are?
Going by your description I am guessing they will not be a safe thing to use around birds though.

Sadie1986

Moving in
I avoid wax melts and candles of all kinds just to be safe. Birds have very delicate respiratory systems, and are highly sensitive to fragrances.
Thank you I was to a party and was told theses are safe around parrots I would not want to have anything ad happen so I’m not goingto be purchasing any other heard you can simmer cinnamon sticks water and apple peelings and orange slices on stove for a safe scent

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you I was to a party and was told theses are safe around parrots I would not want to have anything ad happen so I’m not goingto be purchasing any other heard you can simmer cinnamon sticks water and apple peelings and orange slices on stove for a safe scent
Yes, simmering cinnamon and fruit peels is a great way to create a lovely, safe scent! They also sell mini crock pots that you can use the same way. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
After having a quick look I personally would not even consider using these in the same house as my birds let alone the same room. I am a little OTT with what can be used in my home as I won’t take any chances with my birds because of their extra sensitive respiratory systems.
I think most of us here do what @hrafn suggested with the cinnamon sticks and fruit peels if we want to scent our homes. There are some really lovely scents you can make just by using things like ginger, mint, cinnamon, fruit peels etc.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
If you can correct the person who told you this, it could save a bird. If they're saying that because it's a soy base rather than a paraffin base, they really aren't aware that it is the chemicals used in the fragrance that are the immediate danger. Please consider letting them know.

Sadie1986

Moving in
If you can correct the person who told you this, it could save a bird. If they're saying that because it's a soy base rather than a paraffin base, they really aren't aware that it is the chemicals used in the fragrance that are the immediate danger. Please consider letting them know.
Yes. I will be letting her know my information that I found out . Thank you so much I totally agree.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Just an FYI for people in reading ingredients :

Anytime you see "fragrance" listed as an ingredient it is safe to assume that it is synthetic. Essential oils will be listed individually or as "a blend of..."

There are no regulations for listing ingredients of the fragrances themselves. Sometimes a "fragrance" is made with oils of the thing it is replicating, but it Will have other undisclosed ingredients.

I used to make soap and lotions etc, and the regs haven't changed as far as I know.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, fragrance oils are terrible for birds!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yes, fragrance oils are terrible for birds!
Gosh, I forgot to add an important piece!

FO means fragrance oil, EO means essential oil. Lots of body care products (especially small manufacturers like I was) use these terms in their descriptions and /or ingredient lists. Extremely important to not mix them up!

Also very important: body care items like soap, lotion, scrubs are not required to list their ingredients at all, most do - but they do not have to list every ingredient.

Any item making any claim: moisturizing, relieving, soothing is a stretch are considered over-the-counter drugs, and ARE required to list all ingredients.

There's one more thing... I cannot recall the category where it belongs, but if the ingredient is less than 1percent of the formulation it can be dropped off of the ingredient list entirely. Preservatives frequently fall into this category as not much is required in most formulations. If you are allergic to things like edta, please be careful!

Sadie1986

Moving in
Thank you . I will not be using any of theses and will be sure to let people know they are dangerous to birds

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome