• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scarlet Macaws

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have an opportunity to purchase a proven, breeding pair of scarlet macaws. Another breeder was telling me that several subspecies have been listed under the ESA and it will be difficult to ship them out of state. Does anyone have any information on this and exactly what the restrictions are?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Without a federal permit, you can not sell scarlet macaws to someone who is a resident of a different state than the state that you are a resident of.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is that world wide for the scarlets?

Sorry my phone won’t load the information Mizzely posted.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The scarlet has a special rule for parrots under section 4(d) of the ESA which allows for interstate commerce as long as the state allows it. Many states do not allow ownership of animals listed on the ESA list.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the information :)

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. This clears it up some. We talked about it this morning and I think we're going to pass on them. There are some other things to consider. They were raised outside which really isn't a problem for us. Our neighbors will think differently. The couple behind us has 4 birds, including a moluccan cockatoo, so they don't really mind the bird noise. The ones to the side of us are a different story. They have a long history of complaining about the slightest noise and have an expectation that the neighborhood should be quiet at all times of the day. They complained about the Patagonian conures, yet they were right outside of our patio and we couldn't hear them inside. It's just one less thing to deal with. The birds are beautiful, and I'm sure they can find a good home for them.