• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My vet said that asper is the only fungus that affects the nasal cavity of parrots, but there are exceptions to every rule. Nebulizing is more about dose than time. If it takes 10 min for the dose to nebulize, then you do 10 min. If it takes 30 min, then you do 30. Judy's took around 20-30 min, but she was also on a different drug.

Yeast is typically treated with antifungal medications in lower doses, but it also depends on the medication.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Thanks. He is acting fine still and flies around fine is even quite aggressive in his play! I don't hear that trumpet honk when he screams anymore but do hear like a congested sound when he breathes out his nostrils. This morning he seemed to look like he was going to vomit or regurgitate for about 5 secs but then went completely back to normal and eat loads and flew around. He is back in the vet in a weeks time and I think I will talk to him about blood test and nasal flushing.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi all. Good news vet says he sounded better. I have to do two more weeks antifungal treatment and then stop for two weeks before taking him back for another check to make sure it has not come back. Thanks for all the kind support you have all given me. Lets hope it won't come back. x

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Keeping Positive thoughts for him!:hug8:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's been a while now... any updates?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hello to all. He has been off the antifungals for a week now. In a weeks time he will return to the vet to see if it has come back or hopefully given the all clear. This is very stressful as every time he shouts we are scared of hearing a weird noise! I am just preying that he gets the all clear or we will have to start the anti fungal medicine and nebulising again.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am praying he gets the "all clear"
It is so so stressful to be on this roller coaster!!! Sending you love and hugs!

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PMHe is going back to the vet on Monday after two weeks no medication. He has been fine the entire time until tonight. I heard a honk in the middle of a solid half hour screaming. I was really hopeful but am feeling completely demoralised now not sure whether to start treating him immediately or wait until vet on Monday?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
can't you get him in sooner??

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Could he have allergy's of some sort?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
The earliest appointment is tomorrow morning. Funny you should ask about allergies. I have had terrible hay fever for last few days and I don't normally get it. Could he be suffering of an allergy. If so what would be the symptoms?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Good news. Avian vet said his lungs, air sacs, sinus etc all clear. He is suspecting lupin may have an allergy. He has also put on weight. We are to keep an eye on him and also keep a diary. He said that we can nebulise him a few times a week with f10 as it can only help

Status
Not open for further replies.