• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Oh I wasn't doubting the vet's instructions, it just wasn't an option that I'm familiar with

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi does anybody have any advice about using a nebuliser. We currently place him in his travel cage and cover side best we can with some plastic sheets so that he can see out. There are obviously gaps in sides between panels. Does anyone know of a better way?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
scootergettingnebulized.JPG Here is Saroj' container she made. Several have used the same type and it works well.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
For Milo I cut a hole in the lid of a clear tote and put the nebulizer in that way, but Saroj's looks much better than mine did! :)

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Thanks guys, I shall go to town tomorrow and get some more suitable materials. I have seen him yawn for less than a min in duration today but I suppose that is not out of the ordinary. He is also malting at the moment so I think he is getting fluff in his nostrils.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi all. He is eating fine today but seems more quiet and lethargic. Could the anti fungal medicine be making him more tired? I have also noticed that his poop seems browner than before.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. Bit worried tonight. He has been getting antifungals and nebulized with f10 for 4 days now. After we started this process I have noticed that at times his voice sounds a little broken. This is not constantly throughout the day but occasionally especially in the evening an hour or two after nebulizing. He is due back in the vets week Thursday but we are not sure if he should go back sooner. In every other way he has been in good spirits, playful, eating fine, flying fine, no nasal discharge and breathing fine. He has not been tested for asper but is being treated for it. It seems to my partner and I that he was better before we started treatment! Any advice would be great. Thanks

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Call your vet up and ask them if you should continue treatment as you have been noticing adverse affects. Depending on what they say, you might want to stop one of the treatments.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I agree with Monica to call your vet and let them know what is going on. They may want to see him sooner or change the course of treatment.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My vet said no flying when I did this to Peanut. Best ask him.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am sending positive healing energy!:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely call your vet! I hope he is soon feeling better!:hug8:

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. I have sent an email to the vet asking for advice and they are usually very good with sending a reply. He is still eating fine although seems to have swapped his usual love for veg to more pellets. My only concern is that he seems to have a more hoarse voice and seems to not scream loudly like he would normally. He does till say 'hello' etc. I suppose I need to take in to account that he has been on itrafungol for about 6 days and the vet said it takes up to 10 days really to notice any difference. My worry is that before we started antifungol and nebulizing he only had a little honk on the in breath but now his voice seems effected :(

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Some of the things that are used for nebulization can be harsh on their mucous membranes, so it may be irritating Lupin's throat. Hopefully your vet has some solutions for you :hug8: Have they suggested saline drops in his nose at all to help keep up the moisture in his environment?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
No they have not mentioned saline drops. What do I need to do to give him saline drops? Is is simply use a syringe to drop a mixture of salt water into his nostrils?
Thanks for the help :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm not certain of the solution... I ended up just bringing a syringe of it home from work because Milo is so tiny. The thing that comes to mind are the eye irrigating solutions, although I'm not sure if they add extra ingredients to those. I'd just email your vet one last time to ask for a brand that would be okay to use. I wouldn't use salt water because you can't be 100% sure of the salinity

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone. Vet told us that we were putting too much f10 in the nebulizer. We have cut back and his voice sounds ok. I have not heard that noise on his breathing intake for days. He has had 7 days of antifungal, does this mean unlikely to be aspergillosis? He has another vet appointment in a weeks time.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
don't know your answer but glad he is doing better.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.