• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi I am really scared right now. Lupin male bfa (about 1 years old) about two weeks ago started making a slight nasal sound on the intake of breath after screaming. We only just noticed it to be honest. We took him to the vet and they said it said it sounded like a slight infection so gave us antibiotics. It did seem to get a little better but we took him back to the vet and they said it was a bit better but a weeks more antibiotics should clear it. Anyhow, we think its still there slightly and took him back for another check. Then the vet scared the hell out of me and said that it could be fungal as it sounds like its in his sinus area. Thing is he has been acting fine in every other way eg playful, screaming/talking, eating etc and has even put weight on over last few weeks. We now have to treat him for fungal infection which i know can kill my little man :( Thing is we got Lupin after my cockatiel died last year at the age of 7 from an enlarged heart. I seriously can't cope with losing Lupin :(

She said that she would x ray him but she said she suspected she would see nothing as its only a slight noise. I just though if it was fungal then he would be quite ill? We do make sure his veg and pellets are fresh and not mouldy.

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
sorry you are going through this. did you say the vet actually found signs of fungal infection (since they are treating for it)? try to stay positive. that will help both you and Lupin. :hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fungal infections can be a bear to treat but they are curable. Did he diagnose what type of infection. Are his lungs clear? I was wondering if it was aspergullis. If his lungs are clear that is good. I am glad he is behaving normally. Hopefully the meds work fast.:hug8:

gazzington

Strolling the yard
She has not really diagnosed him with aspergllosis but more case that two weeks of baytril have not got rid of it. She did not want to x ray as that would involve putting him to sleep.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did she put him on an anitfungal? No wheezing from the lungs?

gazzington

Strolling the yard
No sounds from lungs, but there was a slight rattle before he had antibiotics. She said the sound was in his sinus area. Yeah he has been given antifungals.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I'm not expert, but I've had my Amazon to the vet for clogged nares. Amazons are dusty birds and sometimes their dust can cause sinus issues. Maybe take him into the bathroom with the hot water running and see if the steam opens him up?? Worth a shot...

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Thanks I shall try that. I would assume though if a bird had asper that they would be very sick? eg losing weight, tail bobbing, having difficulty breathing?

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Sorry your baby isn't feeling well. As others have said fungal overgrowths can be treated. Also, we x-ray birds at the hospital i work at without anesthetizing them. You have to work really fast, but I think it's a better option. You might want to ask your vet about this.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds can get fungal and bacterial infections, and other than being a bit lethargic (depends on where the infection is and how much it throws off their system), they can be just fine, and be cured with the correct medications. Slight infections [in a healthy bird] shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, however still require treatment.

Did your vet say anything about doing a nasal flush? I would think this may be far better than an X-Ray if it's in his sinuses...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many p rayers on the way!!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Firstly, I would have the vet run the tests necessary to see exactly what your dealing with rather than just continuously giving him medicine. It could be everything from a minor allergy, to aspergillous to nothing at all. The fact that he's been putting on weight makes me think probably not asper although I'm not a vet. My Diva does this weird thing sometimes when the heat or a/c having been running a lot where her nostrils get moist and she makes an alarming sniffling sound. I've tried humidifiers and air filters, but I really think its just something with the air blowing around more. Giving her more frequent baths does help.

The reason I mentioned possibly nothing at all is that my yellow napes often make a little sound like they are forcing air out their nostrils when they are content or sweetly seeking attention. I don't know if blue fronts do that to, or if its just something weird mine do. Mine ALL do it, starting even when they are babies. If your vet isn't super familiar with amazons, then he might be thinking its something else. Personally, I'd have him do a culture or sensitivity after this next round of meds are done just to put the issue to rest. You might be back and forth from the vet for nothing or it could be a matter of just not using the right antibiotic yet. How does he act after flying or intensive play? Does he act totally out of breath for several minutes? Do you ever hear any clicking from down in his chest when he breaths? Does he leave his wings droopy for a long time after physical exertion? Those are all signs of more alarming lung or airsac infections. A little sinus infection from up in the head isn't good, but its not likely to be as life threatening as a lung or air sac problem.
Melissa

gazzington

Strolling the yard
He is fine after flying and playing and his wings are not droopy. I hear no clicks when he breaths etc. I think the vet heard noise in his chest two weeks ago but now I believe it is mainly in his sinus area. You can only hear the noise when takes an intake of breath between screams! I only usually shower him once a week as its not as warm in the uk. Shall I shower him more?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I had to treat my plet for asper, his case sounds much like your fid's, few clinical signs but persistent upper respiratory symptoms. His treatment involved nebulizing an hour a day with an anti fungal, I wrote about our experience in the healthy highway section if you're interested. He came out the other side in great shape and I'm sure your baby will too, especially since you're catching it so early!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Increased humidity in the environment could help too. My vet had me put saline drops in Milo's nostrils and bi-weekly nasal flushes to keep things from settling in there

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi. Could you let me know what symptoms your plet had? Was it also in the sinus area? I am glad he is better though. You can only hear a slight noise when he takes an intake of breath after only very loud screaming. In every other way he acts normal. What are the ways in which a bird can catch this? I make sure that his food is fresh and changed after only about an hour. Sorry for asking so many questions.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
I just thought of something. About 5 days before we noticed the symptoms we had a vinyl floor installed in the bathroom which obviously involved a solvent. We did keep the bird room door locked and bathroom door shut after for about 2 days. We even used a air purifier in the corridor between the rooms. Could this have caused Lupins problem? I forgot to tell the vet but only thought of it half an hour ago. If this could have caused it does anyone know what I need to do?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Yep, it was all upper respiratory for him. At first I just noticed some bouts of odd breathing and so a throat swab and culture was sent in, which came back with a bacteria so we started treating that, and when that didn't help we switched to a combination of antibiotics. After a period of improvement he had started yawning more often and that progressed to some crusty discharge in his nostrils. You're very lucky because your bird is larger, being only 22 grams, doing a blood test or a PCR is right out because they require a larger volume of blood ( to give you an idea, you can safely draw 0.10cc blood from him... you could draw significantly more and do more diagnostics with a larger bird). In Milo's case he had to be anesthetized and the vet used what I imagine is the tiniest instrument ever and removed the debris from his nose to culture and look at under the microscope, which revealed fungal elements suspected to be Asper.

gazzington

Strolling the yard
Hi thanks for your replies. I have started him on his anti fungals today and he still also having antibiotics. I have also been nebulizing him for half an hour with f10 as told by my vet. He is still in good spirits and playing and eating etc. He still sounds a little congested but seems happy in himself.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I haven't heard of nebulizing with f10 :huh:

out of curiosity, which anti fungals is Lupin taking? I'm glad to hear that he's still being himself! I'm sure he'll be right as rain in no time =)

Status
Not open for further replies.