• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared of the clicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
My conure is afraid of the clicker. I clicked it once and he copied the click. Clicked it again and he attacked the hand holding it. So my question is..is there a way to get him to not be afraid of the clicker? I offered a treat after the click, but he was too busy trying to maul my hand to eat his treat! Should I just make a sound instead and forgo the clicker entirely?

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I recommend stopping the clicker. Just use a verbal bridge instead. I use Good Boy in a very enthusiastic tone as my bird isnt fond of the clicker

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Out of the 8 birds that I have had only one was NOT afraid of the clicker.
So....I make the clicker/clucking noise myself. That seems to work much better, tho my son says it gets on his ever lasting nerves!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Mine absolutely hate the clicker. I'm sure if mine could speak I'd get this response, "Click the clicker once more and I'll clap it to ya clacker".:lol:

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
I think a good boy will work :) He loves being praised! I didn't know if there was a way to make him "ok" with the clicker, but sounds like I can just do "Good boy" and have that work just as well. :)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Maybe you could try draping a cloth over your hand with the clicker, to muffle the noise and so he doesn't see the clicker (if he wants to attack it). Once he associates the click with a treat, he should lose his fear of the sound.

vinnyb123

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vince
I agree. Maybe hide the clicker behind your back. Don't let him see the clicker and have it muffled. Eventually he will notice clicking noise is treat time! You then can start bring the clicker more into view. Go at the birds pace.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Saying "Good boy" is just as effective. In fact, I prefer it.....

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
You can train him verbally to so a clicker will not be needed . So good boy or praising him then treat would work.

Wulfgeist

Strolling the yard
I just got a toy that came with a clicker for training. I've heard so much about the pros of training with a clicker I wanted to try it for myself. My grey is afraid of it and now seems to associate that horrid noise with the beloved pine nuts LOL. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.