• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared of hands

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I got a new lovebird, Melon/Melanie a few days ago. She is very sweet and tame, but SO scared of hands! She shrieks and flies away if I try to ask her to step up, so I've backed off a bit with that. However, she loves to sit on my head, and is totally comfortable in human presence. I just don't know why she's so scared, or how to stop her from being like that. I'm trying feeding her millet from my hands, and I think we are making a bit of progress in that, but she just hates being told to step up! I really want to help her overcome her fear! Thank you.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Hahns was terrified of hands. She would step up onto my shoulder or forearm or a rope perch no issues, but even though she was in love with me she never let me touch her with my hands. She did let my scritch her with my nose! ;)

It's only been a few days, I would just go at her pace. Don't push the issue and see if she comes around :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a girl like that. I´ve come to accept it at this point. I can coax her onto my hand using millet and her boyfriend, but willingly it´s rare she comes to my hand, but it has happened.

Gigibirds

So you're saying that this might be the way it's going to be? If so, that's ok I guess. She will be living in an aviary after all, so as long as she and the other birds are happy, that's kind of all that matters! :) Of course, I'm still going to offer her treats and other things to try to help, but I'll understand if she never grows to be comfortable with hands. Thank you both!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Defo keep trying. You just never know where things will go :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A few days is nowhere near enough time to know how it will go!

Gigibirds

You’re right, Mizzely and Zara! And I am going to keep on trying, so don’t worry! :) But I have never had a bird with such a violent reaction to hands before, and that was why I asked about this even though I’m just getting to know her. Thank you so much though!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A couple things to keep in mind- other than you haven't had her very long- is your hand is huge compared to a little lovie, so that's scary. Also, I don't know where she came from, but often people just grab little birds. (People rarely just grab a cockatoo. ;)) So they develop a fear of hands. Take things slow. Hand feed her treats. But you can also try getting her to step up on the back of your hand held out flat. She can walk on it then instead of "stepping up" which some birds don't like.

Gigibirds

But you can also try getting her to step up on the back of your hand held out flat.
That’s a great idea!

Also yes, the person I got her from grabbed her when she gave her to me, and I’ll bet that she was grabbed a lot. But thank you so much for the advice!!