• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared of hands Budgies?

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
I've had my birds for around 5 years by now and they've almost always had the same behavior.
They were bought from a Petsmart store where they were not treated well by the employees and after that they have been really scared to anyone that might touch them anywhere.
They will interact with people if they've been around for a long time and don't raise their hands. (they will go on heads most of the time, if not just climb on a finger if the hand is not open)

I don't know many details from the past in the store, but I do know they were overcrowded and thrown around, which might have caused them to have a fear of hands reaching out.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I’ve read/been told, budgies are frequently not “hand birds” - they can definitely be trained, and there are of course exceptions, but they’re often not like, say, a cockatiel in terms of being hand friendly.

What all have you tried over the years of them being with you, to get them used to hands?

@AussieBird @Sparkles99 and @Pixiebeak come to mind as budgie keepers, they might be able to help.

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
What all have you tried over the years of them being with you, to get them used to hands?
I've tried the basic things like changing their food and water, offering them treats and just doing basic tasks concerning hands. Even sometimes just put my finger out and sit still.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Are you consistent with the work? Like a couple hours, every day? Have you tried target training?

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
I will do these things daily with them, I change their stuff twice per day but it certainly doesn't last an hour. (Maybe I should begin trying that). And I dont really know what target training is?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Learning to not be afraid of something that probably caused a lot of fear is going to be very difficult.
This is my Obsidian whom I've probably had a similar amount of time that you've had yours. He's probably my most skittish. I never really did any training or anything with him, but he now love to come to my hand for treats. It probably helps he got to watch other budgies interact with me, and I've rarely ever had to catch and handle him.
20221231_234537.jpg
If yours like treats you could try treats in your open hand, but never force them to come to you. Just a couple times a day offer your hand with treats and if they don't come just leave and try again the next day.
Also if you mean they don't like hands in terms of petting, scritches, etc. Lots of budgies do not like that, I've never owned a budgie who let me do that.

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
Small update after a while!
They've begun to warm up a bit, they no longer get scared of hand movement which is a big step and will now get near hands instead of away :D

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Small update after a while!
They've begun to warm up a bit, they no longer get scared of hand movement which is a big step and will now get near hands instead of away :D
What is their diet like? Parrots on an all seed diet tend to be less inclined to be trained for treats, as they are actually eating their treat all day anyways. An all seed diet can make them fat and vitamin deficient as well.

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
What is their diet like? Parrots on an all seed diet tend to be less inclined to be trained for treats, as they are actually eating their treat all day anyways. An all seed diet can make them fat and vitamin deficient as well.
Ive recently switched them over to chop (i think that what its called) and pellets. They somehow like millet better than normal seed before I switched them over.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Ive recently switched them over to chop (i think that what its called) and pellets. They somehow like millet better than normal seed before I switched them over.
Are they liking their chop?
Do you offer some seed other then training millet? Budgies really benefit from having some seed due to being Grainivores.

GoldenAves

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luciano (Luc)
Are they liking their chop?
Do you offer some seed other then training millet? Budgies really benefit from having some seed due to being Grainivores.
They are liking their chop so far and I do give them seeds mixed in there :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
After they get used to their chop, try offering chop without seeds for a few hours. Every hour, offer seeds or millet spray from your hand , while looking away from them, and letting them come to you. Wait 5 minutes or until your arm gets sore, then try again the next hour. Do this every hour while they have chop. After the three hours are up, give them some seed in their cage.