• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared lovebird chewing his tail

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What your uncle is doing and suggesting is called ¨Flooding¨.
Grabbing a bird can stress them, stress can bring on mutilating behaviours.

Stand by what you feel and know, don´t let anyone interact with your little bird in any way other than what you want.

Considering what has been going on (the grabbing), I would take some steps back and start from the beggining, offering millet spray through the cage bars, talking softly to him etc start earning some trust back :)

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
What your uncle is doing and suggesting is called ¨Flooding¨.
Grabbing a bird can stress them, stress can bring on mutilating behaviours.

Stand by what you feel and know, don´t let anyone interact with your little bird in any way other than what you want.

Considering what has been going on (the grabbing), I would take some steps back and start from the beggining, offering millet spray through the cage bars, talking softly to him etc start earning some trust back :)
Thank you! Does anyone think it is a bad idea to put my bird’s cage on my bed next to me with his door open in case he wants to come out? I have a medical condition that makes it hard to get up or stand and I need to lay down a lot but I still want to give him attention. Idk if it’s best to leave him on my bookshelf and talk to him from a distance bcuz he’s scared or if it’s okay to put him next to me

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he´s fluttering around the cage when you approach or trying to hide, then leave the cage farther away.

If he is happy with you being so close, then you could, though keep in mind, the cage being on the bed might freak him out a bit (birds are weird like that) and it you may see him acting more nervous, in which case, move the cage.

Another thing to keep in mind is, if you put the cage on your bed with the door open, your bird may fly up away from you and perch else where.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Oh, the noise in that house would unravel anyones nerves!!!
Ask your grandparents if they would add a thin 'felting' to the frame of their bathroom door... [if anything, to provide them with a little more privacy-- unless they want the world to be aware of their bathroom habits! ]. That will not make the door more difficult to close, is inexpensive, easy to apply and is readily available. And will buffer much of the closing door noise!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
After reading your other thread, I think it would be more benefitial to find a good spot for the cage (it can be in your bedroom if you want it to be), leave it in one place while you build a relationship.
You will need to go back to square one and spend time feeding millet and treats to your bird and talk to him. I wouldn´t let him out just now if you´re having such trouble getting him back in.