• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scared lovebird chewing his tail

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I just got a lovebird 11 days ago. He was doing well for the first few days until I had chased and grabbed him on day 4 when it was time to go back in the cage after I let him out (I do not grab him anymore, I didn’t know that was bad:(). I also rearranged my room bcuz he was by the door and my family kept opening it and scaring him. He is away from the door now but he is extremely frightened. He was eating out of my hand at first and now he moves away from me in a panic. My house is very noisy, my grandparents are constantly slamming doors especially the bathroom door on the other side of my wall in the middle of the night. It’s so loud that it always frightens me and wakes me up throughout the night and now I hear my bird wake up when he hears all the noise and then I hear him chew his feathers for several minutes after. No matter how many times I tell my grandparents, they do not open/close doors quietly. Also, their little dog barks at my door for many hours at a time early in the morning at around 4am and all throughout the day. I think my bird is stressed and it’s causing me anxiety. His tail has been shrinking and his tail feathers look terrible to me. Any helpful suggestions on what I can do to comfort him when he’s so afraid of me? 25F4A9E9-5760-4F9E-B023-A64BAAA0C94C.jpeg CD5F9E58-5DC9-428A-BE9E-B2AA6B74B43E.jpeg

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I just got a lovebird 11 days ago. He was doing well for the first few days until I had chased and grabbed him on day 4 when it was time to go back in the cage after I let him out (I do not grab him anymore, I didn’t know that was bad:(). I also rearranged my room bcuz he was by the door and my family kept opening it and scaring him. He is away from the door now but he is extremely frightened. He was eating out of my hand at first and now he moves away from me in a panic. My house is very noisy, my grandparents are constantly slamming doors especially the bathroom door on the other side of my wall in the middle of the night. It’s so loud that it always frightens me and wakes me up throughout the night and now I hear my bird wake up when he hears all the noise and then I hear him chew his feathers for several minutes after. No matter how many times I tell my grandparents, they do not open/close doors quietly. Also, their little dog barks at my door for many hours at a time early in the morning at around 4am and all throughout the day. I think my bird is stressed and it’s causing me anxiety. His tail has been shrinking and his tail feathers look terrible to me. Any helpful suggestions on what I can do to comfort him when he’s so afraid of me? View attachment 369897 View attachment 369898
Also! His cage is filthy dirty but he refuses to come out! No matter how many treats (he loves millet spray) I put out or how long I leave the cage open. I even leave his cage open and then I leave my room for a while and peek on him just to find he is STILL in the cage. His cage is super dirty and I’m afraid of bacteria getting him sick. How can I clean the cage if he won’t come out on his own??:(

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
What does the cage look like? Does it have a tray that pulls out? I wouldn't worry about cleaning anything other than the tray until he's had more of a chance to settle down. 11 days isn't much time at all for a little bird experiencing an entirely new environment.

Give him space and try to relax for him. He can sense your stress.

You can try playing some quiet music. Anything by Brian Crain always puts my birds right to sleep, and it might help soothe his nerves as well as mask the other noises in the house.

I also suggest looking into acoustic foam. Even a small $20 set of panels could help dull some of the household sounds. Keep in mind that if you get some you'll need to air them out outside for a while as they do have quite a strong smell at first.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Having some white noise at night might help. Such as a fan (not blowing on your bird), just having a soothing sound in the background can help. Gosh, I feel for your bird and the slamming doors...I am easily startled and would not be able to tolerate a slamming door at all hours. Maybe you could try applying a thin layer of weather stripping on the doors to help cushion the noise. Good luck!

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
What does the cage look like? Does it have a tray that pulls out? I wouldn't worry about cleaning anything other than the tray until he's had more of a chance to settle down. 11 days isn't much time at all for a little bird experiencing an entirely new environment.

Give him space and try to relax for him. He can sense your stress.

You can try playing some quiet music. Anything by Brian Crain always puts my birds right to sleep, and it might help soothe his nerves as well as mask the other noises in the house.

I also suggest looking into acoustic foam. Even a small $20 set of panels could help dull some of the household sounds. Keep in mind that if you get some you'll need to air them out outside for a while as they do have quite a strong smell at first.
His cage has a tray that pulls out and I clean it daily. But he has pooped all over the toys and bars! It’s covered in poop:grumpy: I leave him alone and I talk to him gently from a distance. I try hand feeding him throughout the day but as soon as he tries to move away, I stop and I don’t bother him. I play soothing music all the time but I will try the artist you suggested and try to calm down myself:) Thank you!

Last edited:

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Having some white noise at night might help. Such as a fan (not blowing on your bird), just having a soothing sound in the background can help. Gosh, I feel for your bird and the slamming doors...I am easily startled and would not be able to tolerate a slamming door at all hours. Maybe you could try applying a thin layer of weather stripping on the doors to help cushion the noise. Good luck!
Thank you! I will try some white noise! And yes, it even startles me:( Their yorkie barks all day too and it’s ear piercing. My poor bird is so stressed and frightened. It’s not my house so I may not be able to try weather stripping but I definitely will look into it and consider it! Thank you so much!

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I'm not sure how good lovebirds are at mimicking sounds, but I have a neighbor who has yorkies (who bark as yorkies do), and my caique has picked up the bark! She will "arf arf arf" at me throughout the day :rofl: . So, that may be a funny outcome of this time in your (and your bird's) life!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Try to be calm around her. They pick up our feelings. It will take some time til she is used to the new home.
Most birds will get used to the noise in the house & not consider it troublesome. If it disrupts sleep alot it could have an affect though.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I'm not sure how good lovebirds are at mimicking sounds, but I have a neighbor who has yorkies (who bark as yorkies do), and my caique has picked up the bark! She will "arf arf arf" at me throughout the day :rofl: . So, that may be a funny outcome of this time in your (and your bird's) life!
LOL that is so funny! I hope I have a good outcome out of the barking situation haha thank you for sharing!

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Try to be calm around her. They pick up our feelings. It will take some time til she is used to the new home.
Most birds will get used to the noise in the house & not consider it troublesome. If it disrupts sleep alot it could have an affect though.
Thank you! I will try to stay calm!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Lovebirds are quite good at copying sounds. Some report they can talk, but it´s not common. Most are able to copy whistles and other little sounds we make to them. So a dog bark could be a possible sound the bird learns...

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I haven’t been holding my bird and I’ve been very patient and gentle with him. BUT my uncles keep insisting that my bird will get comfortable with me only if I hold him against his will. I don’t want to do that and I have decided it is best to let him be. However, my uncles kept going into my room today to grab him. Can this traumatize him?! I feel like I’m making no progress with my bird :(

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
I haven’t been holding my bird and I’ve been very patient and gentle with him. BUT my uncles keep insisting that my bird will get comfortable with me only if I hold him against his will. I don’t want to do that and I have decided it is best to let him be. However, my uncles kept going into my room today to grab him. Can this traumatize him?! I feel like I’m making no progress with my bird :(
I'm not at all an expert but I believe if your uncle keeps trying to force your bird it'll only make him more afraid of people and hands. Maybe be politely firm with your uncle and tell him you want to try and tame your bird your way and you want him to respect that. With the way your environment is you'll definitely need a lot of patience with your feathered companion. I can tell you want to do what's best for your little buddy, just keep that attitude and be very very patient. Hopefully your lovie will come around but don't put a date on it :)

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I'm not at all an expert but I believe if your uncle keeps trying to force your bird it'll only make him more afraid of people and hands. Maybe be politely firm with your uncle and tell him you want to try and tame your bird your way and you want him to respect that. With the way your environment is you'll definitely need a lot of patience with your feathered companion. I can tell you want to do what's best for your little buddy, just keep that attitude and be very very patient. Hopefully your lovie will come around but don't put a date on it :)
Thank you so much!!

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
This was day one with him:xflove: I put him on my bed (before I knew that grabbing him was a bad idea) and he approached me and sat on my leg:heart: He doesn’t do this anymore:unsure1: CB3D6DD4-9320-46B8-8488-C51256F6E95E.png

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I haven’t been holding my bird and I’ve been very patient and gentle with him. BUT my uncles keep insisting that my bird will get comfortable with me only if I hold him against his will. I don’t want to do that and I have decided it is best to let him be. However, my uncles kept going into my room today to grab him. Can this traumatize him?! I feel like I’m making no progress with my bird
I hope you can keep your sweet bird safe from those grabbing hands! That is a terrible theory about holding him against his will! Explain to your uncle and ask him how would HE like to be held against his will by a giant creature who is chasing and grabbing at him and invading his space in the only place where he is supposed to live. UGH!!!

I am glad you are being patient and gentle - THAT will win your bird over in time!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This was day one with him:xflove: I put him on my bed (before I knew that grabbing him was a bad idea) and he approached me and sat on my leg:heart: He doesn’t do this anymore
What a precious cutie he is! Just keep being patient, 11 days in a birds life is like maybe one second to us. (If that) And 11 days in a new home environment, they are still so scared and frightened by all kinds of things.

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
I hope you can keep your sweet bird safe from those grabbing hands! That is a terrible theory about holding him against his will! Explain to your uncle and ask him how would HE like to be held against his will by a giant creature who is chasing and grabbing at him and invading his space in the only place where he is supposed to live. UGH!!!

I am glad you are being patient and gentle - THAT will win your bird over in time!
That is exactly what I explained:unsure1: I am very protective of him, I quickly stopped the chasing and grabbing by my uncles as soon as I knew what was happening! My poor little baby!

SnowB

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Snow
Thank you! Isn’t he adorable?! I love him so much:heart::swoon: That is very comforting! Thank you!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is exactly what I explained:unsure1: I am very protective of him, I quickly stopped the chasing and grabbing by my uncles as soon as I knew what was happening! My poor little baby!
Good for you! You're a really great parront!