• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

scared bourke

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Hey guys I'm in need of some advice. the female bourke that I just got is very stressed. every evening I change their paper and she starts hissing and acting like she is scared to death the other one is fine, I don't know if it's because the lady I got them from cut her wings and maybe she's depressed. should I just leave them alone other than feeding them and changing their paper or should I sit in there and maybe do some knitting. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This may sound silly but maybe try changing papers in the morning. My foster lovebird got really cage territorial in the evenings for some reason but if I rearranged things in the morning he was fine. I also would try sitting by them and doing some knitting for them to get used to you. :)

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
This may sound silly but maybe try changing papers in the morning. My foster lovebird got really cage territorial in the evenings for some reason but if I rearranged things in the morning he was fine. I also would try sitting by them and doing some knitting for them to get used to you. :)
thanks actually when I feed them in the morning it's the same reaction from her. I will try sitting by them and knit. Hopefully she will start to relax, I don't want her to be miserable here.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
That might help. You can also try offering millet from your hand and she if she takes it after patiently standing there fore a while. Sometimes if one bird takes it it encourages the other. And that way she can associate you with something good and realizes you won't hurt her if you have the chance.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might even just put some millet by a perch she can reach and ignore both of them. I imagine she's pretty terrified and needs some time to settle in. :)

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
the female has settled somewhat, I'm still upset that the former owner cut her wings hopefully they will grow back sooner than later. I named them sunrise the Male and Gracie's the female. They are siblings so @ least they have each other.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess you know this species are ground feeders. Is she eating from the floor or from food dishes up in the cage? She could be a bit territorial.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have their feeders dishes on the floor she's not acting very territorial but she can't fly either, I don't know how she will act once her wing feathers come back in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rest assure she will be happier when she can fly.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My bourke hen eats well with other birds. She's such a silly little thing, honestly!