• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scallywags 65 years young

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Scallywags is honestly one of the few B&Gs that have spent their entire life within one family. Scallywags was hand reared by my grandmother 65 years ago.
Scallywags has always been “Salty” and I’ve loved her since before I could remember. So it was an honest “no brainer” Scally will be coming to me when the time comes. I figured since she had literally watched me grow up, she would have naturally bonded with me. I WAS WRONG. She bonded instantly to my daughter. And thankfully my daughter fell in love with the stubborn, opinionated old bird. Scally is the posterbird for “one person” and “one person” only. Scallywags entire world revolves around M. Will literally do anything for her. But G-d help the flesh that thinks they can giver her scratches or even get near her cage. I’ve had several incidents where “bird people” think just because they also own a Macaw they “know” my bird. They get their feelings hurt every time.
Before I go any further, my daughter has felt the power of her beak when Scallywags gets pissy, she knows the sharpness of her claws. BUT M loves her still.
I’ve also come to be okay, knowing that the Scally that I grew up with, that would preen my hair as a child, that would ride on my shoulder while checking cows, will NEVER be “my” bird.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Awww Scallywags is her own bird. Love to see macaws as old as her.

We here on the forum have lost two of our senior citizens here on the forum. Rosie (female GW) 77 years old who belonged to @Macawnutz and Zane a 70+ year old Moluccan who was @Sarahmoluccan 's best buddy. They were very different in their lives - Rosie was a show bird who was cared for great for her entire life and Zane was a bird with no history, but who was thrown away and had no future until Sarah took him home with her.

I have a real soft spot for these older guys. That's my Hank in my avatar he died at 34 and fought hard for his life for all 15 years I had him.

Love Scallywags a lot.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Scallywags is beautiful! Does not look his age. My military is 61 and is not as young looking.
Scallywags is a she :)
She definitely doesn’t look her age. She is “salty though” Though she has a HUGE vocabulary her favorite phrases consists of telling strangers to “f—k off” she speaks 4 languages. And is constantly learning.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's fantastic to see a senior bird in such good health! Sounds like Scallywags knows exactly what she wants - I'm so glad she and your daughter have found each other.

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Scallywags is honestly one of the few B&Gs that have spent their entire life within one family. Scallywags was hand reared by my grandmother 65 years ago.
Scallywags has always been “Salty” and I’ve loved her since before I could remember. So it was an honest “no brainer” Scally will be coming to me when the time comes. I figured since she had literally watched me grow up, she would have naturally bonded with me. I WAS WRONG. She bonded instantly to my daughter. And thankfully my daughter fell in love with the stubborn, opinionated old bird. Scally is the posterbird for “one person” and “one person” only. Scallywags entire world revolves around M. Will literally do anything for her. But G-d help the flesh that thinks they can giver her scratches or even get near her cage. I’ve had several incidents where “bird people” think just because they also own a Macaw they “know” my bird. They get their feelings hurt every time.
Before I go any further, my daughter has felt the power of her beak when Scallywags gets pissy, she knows the sharpness of her claws. BUT M loves her still.
I’ve also come to be okay, knowing that the Scally that I grew up with, that would preen my hair as a child, that would ride on my shoulder while checking cows, will NEVER be “my” bird.
Your seniors are few and far between it seems. And few seniors have the ability to have an accurate biography”
I’ve also found it hard to find helpful insight for “seniors”. Scally gets extra maintenance yummies for her to rummage through. She also gets as much outside time as I can give her. So we are constantly down at the water. (She even has her own floaty tube) so she can float with us while we swim with our local manatee population. She is as curious about the “sea cows” as they are of her. Her and M draw quite the looks while we paddle board.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She's beautiful :xflove::heart:

So we are constantly down at the water. (She even has her own floaty tube) so she can float with us while we swim with our local manatee population. She is as curious about the “sea cows” as they are of her. Her and M draw quite the looks while we paddle board.
That would be a sight to see!! :D

It is hard to find information on older birds. Sadly There's seems to be more info on birds that age prematurely, because poor diets or poor husbandry.

It's great that Scallywags is in good health. The only real advice I can give in terms of senior birds is to have them tested for things like arthritis. Basically just have a more thorough yearly wellness exam. Just in case anything does pop up, you can hopefully catch it early. And perhaps have her seen twice a year instead just once, depending if you feel she needs that. And Enjoy her as much as you can too :heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Happy Bird Day Scally

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Scallywags is an absolutely gorgeous old girl!! My B&G is very young compared to her, but looks so much older for his abusive past.

What an amazing life she's had with you and your family, living full and healthy and happy for all her 65 years!! :swoon:

Though it was a no-brainer for you, I still feel compelled to say THANK YOU for loving Scally your whole life, and giving her your home in her older years. You're a treasure of a person and I wish all macs were as lucky.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a lucky family to have this beautiful Salty old girl for all the years! Now maybe if you could just take that "shrinking pill" like Alice in Wonderland, she might think of you as her 'go to' person again! Ha ha... birds are so funny, but so interesting. Happy 65th Birdday Scally!

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
She's beautiful :xflove::heart:

That would be a sight to see!! :D

It is hard to find information on older birds. Sadly There's seems to be more info on birds that age prematurely, because poor diets or poor husbandry.

It's great that Scallywags is in good health. The only real advice I can give in terms of senior birds is to have them tested for things like arthritis. Basically just have a more thorough yearly wellness exam. Just in case anything does pop up, you can hopefully catch it early. And perhaps have her seen twice a year instead just once, depending if you feel she needs that. And Enjoy her as much as you can too :heart:
All of my guys get seen twice a year. They all get a full check up done. I also have my vets trim their nails for me, when their talons get to sharp. I do give Scallywags a little bit extra these days. Due to that I think she needs more calories and vitamins. I figure I’m doing something write otherwise.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All of my guys get seen twice a year. They all get a full check up done. I also have my vets trim their nails for me, when their talons get to sharp. I do give Scallywags a little bit extra these days. Due to that I think she needs more calories and vitamins. I figure I’m doing something write otherwise.
Yes she sounds like she in excellent hands :heart:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I’m a firm believer that though experts say parrots need only 10 hours of sunlight. They need more, they also need to have the opportunity to be outside. I won’t get into the effects of secondhand smoke around your animals. It’s not my place, to say it’s wrong.
I just wish all macaws looked like Scallywags because she shows that your parrots can look like cover models in their senior years.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's amazing. She looks great. Happy #65 to Scallywags!

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
She looks great!! my blue and gold isn't even here yet but I hope she'll live the same kind of long happy life! in 65 years, i'll be 95 so if i'm not lucky enough to still be around and able to care for her, I really hope one of my kids will bond to her enough to want to keep her in the family. :heart:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
She looks great!! my blue and gold isn't even here yet but I hope she'll live the same kind of long happy life! in 65 years, i'll be 95 so if i'm not lucky enough to still be around and able to care for her, I really hope one of my kids will bond to her enough to want to keep her in the family. :heart:
Lots love and socializing. I can’t stress enough on the socializing. Make sure to take lots of baby photos.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm not a big Mac person, but I love Scallywags...she is certainly a grand lady. :)

The thing that attracts me so much to her is she is her "own bird"...as @Hankmacaw said.

Since I know I wouldn't have any fingers left if I gave her real scritches, Ill send her some cyberscritches...:)

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
I'm not a big Mac person, but I love Scallywags...she is certainly a grand lady. :)

The thing that attracts me so much to her is she is her "own bird"...as @Hankmacaw said.

Since I know I wouldn't have any fingers left if I gave her real scritches, Ill send her some cyberscritches...:)
She is definitely her “own” bird.
We were at the park/local swim hole today and she deemed this passing group to “loud” for her liking so she told them to “Stop talking So loud” one of the girls asked if she could take pictures and Scallywags told her “Nope, not today Satan” and proceeded to turn around and showed her, her backside.