• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Scale Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
Hello everyone. I am in the market for a new scale, especially in light of the sad news as of late. I was wondering if those of you with scales would not mind providing a review and where you purchased it. Thanks in advance!

PS This is the scale I have been looking at....Sterling Avian Gram Scale Professional Series at Grey Feather Toys. Thanks!

Last edited:

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I got mine from Amazon.com it is just a kitchen scale. I don't know what brand tho. I got it a few years ago.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Mine's a kitchen scale from Walmart. Works well enough here.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I got mine from Ikea for like $14. I use it in the kitchen and for my birds :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mine is a postal scale. My birds don't stay on it when I used the flat top so I made a mini perch onto it. I wrote it's weight right on it to subtract from the total if I forget to zero it out.

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
I use a kitchen scale from Walmart - it has a tray on it and if you put a bit of millet in it at weigh-in time, the birds stay pretty still! Zero's out automatically when turned on. However, I would rather have a perch like John - way easier.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I found out my inexpensive scale way way off. So I just ordered the hobbyist Sterling scale. I like it better because it comes with the T-perch and bowl for the little guys. They told me I did not need the pro at Sterling.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I have a scale and a perch my hubby made. Problem is my GW is

1) terrified
2) gigantic

I really need to weigh him, but the scale feels unsafe to him. Any suggestions?

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
I use a kitchen scale from Walmart - it has a tray on it and if you put a bit of millet in it at weigh-in time, the birds stay pretty still! Zero's out automatically when turned on. However, I would rather have a perch like John - way easier.
Just use a wicker basket. That's what I do. Here is a bad picture of Kiwi on it. :) She perches great on the natural basket I use but this was just a quick "demo" photo. LOL!

IMG_1837a.jpg

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Well duh - thank you so much. I So think only inside the box - Wicker baskets are our playstands for moving around the house (see my avatar) - we use them all the time. Why didn't I think of that? (smacks self in head). Thank you very much (although the birds will miss the millet LOL - maybe they can still have it anyway).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have the Acculab GS 2001 witha T perch. It's about 12 years old and I have to say is sturdy as can be. It has been dropped more than once and survived. I think I paid about $80 for it, but I don't remember where I got it.

Debbie, have you tried stepping Diego onto the scale perch backwards?

ML

Status
Not open for further replies.