• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Scab/injury on back of Lovebird

Stepheeeex

Checking out the neighborhood
Female Lovebird, Mango, 8 years old. Never have had any issues with anything health wise, poop is still normal, eats normally and drinks normally.

My lovebird has an issue in which she has screamed or made sounds of pain whenever preening her back for the past couple months, however she always looked completely normal and I searched through her feathers a few times, but it only looked like there could be a clump of feathers stuck together in that area, and a little bald spot near that where she was preening, the past few days I have been trying to see what has been going on there since she won't let me near it, doesn't like fingers near her back.
I was able to poke around her feathers while she was eating from millet I was holding, and I saw what looks like a scab on her back, with missing feathers around it, probably because she has been constantly picking at it whenever she stops and preens. Whenever she preens the area, she will not stop preening, but will just screech in pain while still picking at the area.
Looking at her normally without poking in her feathers, you could not see anything that was wrong, up until the past week, where its gotten worse and now you can see the loss of feathers sort of in the area. I made a vet appointment for her, earliest I could get is Tuesday of next week, and its far since there are no vets around here.

Any advice will be appreciated, already swapped all her toys, got rid of her bells in case they were making her hormonal because she likes to "flirt" with them, she has foraging toys, a cuttlebone, harrison food pellets, and extra vitamins in her water.

Included a picture of what she looks like with her feathers down normally that I took today.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Exactly where in her back is this spot you mention? At the top of the tail area by any chance?

Stepheeeex

Checking out the neighborhood
Exactly where in her back is this spot you mention? At the top of the tail area by any chance?
If you look at that feather indent in the middle of her back in the first picture, its about a little higher than that, its not her gland. Here's a picture I got while she was fluffing up her feathers after some preening. Its not a great picture, but she has no feathers in the scabbed up area right now because she keeps ripping off anything that heals, she was sitting on my arm and was preening that spot again when I wasn't looking at her, and pulled out a little fluffy down feather that had a part of the scab attached to it. :(

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am glad you have the vet appointment booked.

I personally would stop the vitamins, you are feeding a complete food (Harisons pellets) - you can overdose on vitamins so unless your vet recommends the use of them they could be doing more damage than good.

Hopefully she will not pick too much more before Tuesday and hopefully another member like @Hankmacaw might be able to offer you some further advice.
I am hesitant to suggest any topical treatments/cleanings as I am not really sure what the cause is and some injuries/wounds are best left to dry out while others are best topically assisted.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m sorry you couldn´t get an appointment sooner.

It could be a patch of dermatitis, that happened to one of my birds (it was a little further up the back) and meds from the vet fixed it. I have no idea how it happened.

While you wait for the vet appointment, try to distract her if you see her picking at that area, but not with treats.
Increase foraging opportunities for her so she can spend more time foraging for her food and less time picking the scab.