• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SC2 Plucker

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Lovie came to his rescue plucking 5 years ago. He was ill and had surgery. He is 100% now and has a clean bill of health. From what I have seen so far, he continues the behavior. He does it whenever, even done it sitting on my lap, but he does not seem to interrupt when he is playing or eating. I have been ignoring the behavior entirely. He probably does it more in his cage, he doesn’t play with his toys as much inside his cage. I think he plucks less when he’s outside. He is a screamer and doesn’t make any pleasant noises so I have just been rewarding quiet. I am thinking about buying a bell and reward the ringing. Or possibly teach him a word/noise that is rewarding. When he preens he seems to do it roughly. Occasionally making small noises that sound pained (especially when he does that head twirl by the preening gland)and focusing on one feather for a minute. I have heard him doing this during the night. I think his wing feathers are the worst. In the past few week or two he seems to be plucking more of his tummy feathers. I think the cause of this increase is spring hormones. I haven't seen that many extra feathers at the bottom, but I can see a larger bare spot. I am sorry I don’t have any pictures. I took some on a camera and don’t know how to transfer them so I will have to take new ones on my phone. And I wanted to go ahead and post this or I'd never get around to it.

His diet consists of chop and TOPS pellets. I try to keep the chop dry (though mine typically starts pretty wet), as they seem to prefer it that way. I warm it on the cold days. Gets sprouts, egg, or birdy bread sometimes. So far he really likes my chop, preferring it to his pellets. I try to make it appetizing, usually adding a new ingredient everyday. His usual weight is about 470-480 grams. He has a night cage/play cage ¾ s infront of a window in my bedroom. His day cage is outside on a porch. He has been home for about 4 months. In the winter I move his day cage inside to replace his sleep cage. I switch them back in the spring when it warms up.
I usually aim for 5 or 6 hours of out-of-cage time. Sometimes he gets less, but I try to make up for it the next day. He has been trying to mate with my hands and face, but otherwise he seems to have healthy behavior. Goes to bed with a cover at 8:30, uncovered at 7:50.
Things I am/have trying: showers as often as possible, lots of sunlight, tv when alone, foraging toys, drop of apple cider vinegar in water, aloe in water shower(1 part or less aloe to 3 parts water) , red palm oil in food, CBD oil
Things I want to try: herb salad, more reusable foraging toys (ones he can’t break), harness and other training, possibly a mop head, possible supplements or sprays (recommendations?), cotton scrunchie
I plan to buy a collar for emergencies or later use.
Not necessarily related, but in these 3 months he has broken two blood feather (and a third when I was fostering him). Caused by a fall.
I would really like to know more about the ins and outs of collaring a bird. When is it the best choice? And if their are any more options.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice or articles you think could help Lovie, feel free to share. It is such a complex subject I don’t think I will ever stop learning.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sweden (Goffin Too) is also upping her feather destruction, you're right spring is coming.
We had one full wing a month ago, it's now gone. :(
The things I find that help the most are toys everywhere with lots of chewable/shreddable material.
Not necessarily wood. But anything woven, dangly, crisp and wavy attracts her.
Showers of course help the feathers look better, and gives them a more natural preening session.

I've never collared, we have a few times gotten to a bloodied feather (pulled close to the skin), luckily this hasn't escalated into mutilation. I think some Toos do fairly well with the softer collars, they look like a cape. Many have small preening material sewn on them. Hope it doesn't come to that for you and your Too.

I do find more out time helps.
It seems like the cage-time offers a lot more time to 'entertain herself' with the destructive behavior.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Bumping so you get some more ideas.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Sweden (Goffin Too) is also upping her feather destruction, you're right spring is coming.
We had one full wing a month ago, it's now gone. :(
The things I find that help the most are toys everywhere with lots of chewable/shreddable material.
Not necessarily wood. But anything woven, dangly, crisp and wavy attracts her.
Showers of course help the feathers look better, and gives them a more natural preening session.

I've never collared, we have a few times gotten to a bloodied feather (pulled close to the skin), luckily this hasn't escalated into mutilation. I think some Toos do fairly well with the softer collars, they look like a cape. Many have small preening material sewn on them. Hope it doesn't come to that for you and your Too.

I do find more out time helps.
It seems like the cage-time offers a lot more time to 'entertain herself' with the destructive behavior.
I know how that is, sometimes Lovie will get a nice tail going. I will have to add more shredding toys, he likes cardboard and rubber-like toys. Maybe paper or palm. I tried to interest him in some pinecones, didn't work. Looking for that "perfect" toy.
My ultimate goal is for him to be out all the time when I'm home. Of course, I can't do that now, but one day.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Here's a picture of his current tummy situation.:(
Does he look thin to you @macawpower58 ?
IMG_20220403_163559178.jpg IMG_20220403_201656838.jpg

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry you are having a rough time :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's hard for me to tell from those photos.
Certainly not plump, and I can clearly see the keep bone.
May be a bit thin, or even a lack of muscle.
Has a vet said anything about weight?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
It's hard for me to tell from those photos.
Certainly not plump, and I can clearly see the keep bone.
May be a bit thin, or even a lack of muscle.
Has a vet said anything about weight?
The vet said he was a normal weight, if a little thin, nothing to worry. That was a while back, I did research on it and compared him to a few Toos at the rescue and agreed. It's interesting you say lack of muscle, he is active, but cannot fly. I bounce him on my hand, but he barely flaps his wings. Only when he is super excited, about to scream, will he flap for a few seconds. He has been eating extra well now that spring is here. So it very well could be lack of muscle. I will have to think of a way to exercise him. Once I have him harness-trained that should help.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My macaw (22 Years Old) looks on the thin side, but he isn't.
He does not fly (Though he can), and hasn't for years.
His chest looks thin as he has none of the muscles that birds that fly develop.
This may be the same with your Too.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My macaw (22 Years Old) looks on the thin side, but he isn't.
He does not fly (Though he can), and hasn't for years.
His chest looks thin as he has none of the muscles that birds that fly develop.
This may be the same with your Too.
That sounds like the case for Lovie. I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it. I tried a new exercise trick the other day. Placing him in the middle of a blanket and holding the far edges up. Once he gets a hold I let one of the edges down so he has to climb up to my hand. Works his muscles. He has ran away twice lol so more treats and praise will be necessary. I am figuring out a way to hang a boing or diy orbiter from the ceiling, could also help.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Lovie has two big beautiful tail feathers right now. Oh I wish he would keep them!:dontgo:
IMG_20220626_144841130.jpg

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
We have been trying avicalm lately and a bit of chamomile tea here and there. I think it is helping a little, he is sporting some tail feathers and a flight feather. A few people who knew him before I adopted complimented him, makes me happy.:)
IMG_20221013_124741133.jpg IMG_20221013_124755777.jpg IMG_20221013_125020900.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a cutie. Does she have foraging toys? I know some people who have their pluckers forage for a lot of their food. It keeps them busy.