• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Say hi to pierre, he's home at his forever home now!!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
hought about trying T stick...though I'm not a fan of them. Made one, but get anywhere close to cage he sees it and goes into squealing mode even several feet away.
Michael, my OWA was and is terrified of sticks. She was so bad she even made my BFA think he should be scared of a stick, and he had stepped up on a stick for years.
She was not a biter but I wanted to have a non-flesh option when she was new, then I needed it for a male hormonal BFA.

What I did was use a bottom grate out of a small discarded prevuehendrix cage. I now find that the shelf from an old kitchen size freezer works great and is both small enough and large enough to be reasonable. Closet shelf grates from Home Depot look about the same and would work if you wife objects to your raiding the freezer.

They are not usually scared of grate design because it looks like their cage and they are not able to make a fast run across it to your hand if they are a bird inclined to do so.
Be aware to anchor the end before they step off it or it will rebound and hit them in the butt!
I use it once every day even if I don't need it, just to keep the option fresh.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Both Howard and Billy our BFA do the Amazon roll on us. I read the same thing that @Clueless did. Before we lost Charlie our YN he did it too. He was abused both mentally and physically by a hoarder. I would do the same thing. Billy is wild caught and is getting better when he sees the towel and knows he's going to the vet. Howard is so laid back we just pick him up let him do a small roll so he doesn't lose his pride :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well got him in New cage without any hassle, and is all comfy even took a bath!! Lol...
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1580932114741.jpeg IMG_20200205_145631.jpg IMG_20200205_145515.jpg

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Oh, that first pic made me teary! He looks so content. He has found the absolute best home!! And tell Glenda that I'm proud of her for giving treats! I know she was nervous about him, but I'm really thinking she'll be pleasantly surprised.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks content sitting & just hanging out. Maybe w/ a little time... He'll chill!

I'm glad he found a great forever home. I'm also glad Glenda got up the nerve to hand Pierre treats! :hug8: for her for the courage!!!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Could he be smiling in your pic? Yep. He's smiling!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
He looks content sitting & just hanging out. Maybe w/ a little time... He'll chill!

I'm glad he found a great forever home. I'm also glad Glenda got up the nerve to hand Pierre treats! :hug8: for her for the courage!!!
Hope so, He'll sit on top of cage, but getting him back in was a chore... Absolutely is terrified something dreadful of hands. Screams bloody murder trying to pick him up. Jumped down to floor had to follow him around to get him.
Then use both hands to grab him...I handled a lot of birds over the years, all kinds, never encountered one this fearful to this extreme. Sure there's birds that are afraid of hands, had those before, but this is a whole different level.
Confident I can get him used to hands, but it's not an issue of getting him used to them, it's finding and over coming that traumatic fear of them. Finding out why they are so traumatic for him.
I have a pretty good idea what happened and why now.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hope so, He'll sit on top of cage, but getting him back in was a chore... Absolutely is terrified something dreadful of hands. Screams bloody murder trying to pick him up. Jumped down to floor had to follow him around to get him.
Then use both hands to grab him...I handled a lot of birds over the years, all kinds, never encountered one this fearful to this extreme. Sure there's birds that are afraid of hands, had those before, but this is a whole different level.
Confident I can get him used to hands, but it's not an issue of getting him used to them, it's finding and over coming that traumatic fear of them. Finding out why they are so traumatic for him.
I have a pretty good idea what happened and why now.
Oh don't worry everone, I'll get him used to hands.
It will take a while. He's a sweety, really is, just something very traumatic happened in his past involving hands, possible handled in a way that hurt him, I'm not sure.
But you can see it in him. Regardless he will get lots of love from wife and I here. Well work with him. And maybe he can put the bad experience in the back of his head. They don't forget easily.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Mickey was the same way, initially. It took about 6 months before he would let Samantha give him head rubs. Gently, at first.

Then he started to request them. He absolutely loved them.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Ya know come to think about it I fostered a Zon with the yellow tinges around his eyes for a family friend for some months years ago when they were going through a rough patch. Must have been 79 or 80. I at that point had both my Maxi Pionus brothers Ferd and Nerd. I would keep his cage at the foot of my bed below the Maxi's. I remember him being a big love sponge that wanted my attention whenever possible. I'd wake up and feel a feathered dinosaur walking across my legs across the blankets to get to me. He'd start nibbling on my ears and gently making happy noises to wake me up for attention and scritches. He so badly wanted to hang out with the Maxis and they wanted nothing to do with him. He never tried to bite and was very gentle and seemed to like everyone. I was sad when they took him back but my birds were so happy to be left alone and have more daddy time.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Michael, I'm almost afraid to ask what you think the suspected offense was?
Well it was Time for Grey grey's check up so I decided to take Pierre in to my vet. She never seen a bird in a while so traumatized by hands. She only had a couple that were like this.
The vocalization is a cry of extreme fear. Not your typical awk awk... This is a bit unusual for a 20 yr. old bird. They normally put their head down if not wanting to step up or simply walk away. And like she said, he's not being aggressive he's being scared for his life with the hands.
There is also dried blood under feathers around beak, nostril. And a bit tender. And has a swollen wing. This was within last 2 weeks.
And to clarify, this is not anything that happened with or at Chelsea"s...she hadn't had the bird but a day. This happened at rescue, and before.
Even Prior owners possibly.
Pierre hasn't crash landed at my house, besides, his wings are clipped and nails trimmed too short. Vet said … you want my honest opinion??
He was either intentionally hit, or accidentally hit. The vet , myself and wife are agreeing on first one. We're pretty positive on it.
I've dealt with many types of parrots in my life time, Nearly 30 parrots, as I myself had a private rescue and rehomed birds to proper homes. I have never seen
a bird this traumatized by hands. And vet has seen similar in a couple badly treated birds. But again said, Pierre has a lot of potential to
over come this. because he's not aggressive. Doesn't show the will to attack, and is calm if you keep hands away.
Whats done is done, I can't change that or dwell on it, The key now is focusing on what I can do to change that and get his trust back
with hands. He's a lovely bird, and intend on giving him and the care and love he needs to help over come what ever happened.
So, my suspected offense...he's been badly handled to point of sheer traumatizing and even pain which caused bleeding... probably happened far more than once.
But as I said, I'm in no way going to ever give up on him, heck no. He needs his confidence rebuilt, his trust regained
and yea that'll take time, big deal It's going to be fun. I'm getting his confidence back up by offering him treats from hand.
He wants to take it, some times he will, but slowly and cautiously then hurries back away from hand. Other times he will cry if hand is too close.
So.....that's where we stand.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Good for you and from your description that kind of cry is only from extreme pain or fear. I heard it from Nerd when he was very sick at the end of his time with me. He'd feel good, then go down hill and whenever he was feeling bad picking him up he'd give a pitiful cry scream I'd never heard before I'll never forget it and if I ever hear it again whoever it is gets a immediate vet visit. Your guy will come around but it's going to take time to rebuild his trust account. Of course you know that and will do what it takes to make him a happy camper again eventually. It feels so good when a bird like him is finally happy with his life and Flock again :bluhug:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh, that first pic made me teary! He looks so content. He has found the absolute best home!! And tell Glenda that I'm proud of her for giving treats! I know she was nervous about him, but I'm really thinking she'll be pleasantly surprised.
He's has a great disposition, and is going to be a great bird. He is extremely terrified of hands, and it's something we'll just have to work on.
Sometimes he'll take a treat, is very very cautious about hands, but he'll take it and run back away. Glenda says same, he's not an aggressive bird
he most likely was a great bird all along but some where he got mishandled by prior owner or at rescue. He doesn't want to be a mean bird or aggressive one
we see that in him.
Thank you for getting me this bird... i'm going to work with him. Daily !!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Good for you and from your description that kind of cry is only from extreme pain or fear. I heard it from Nerd when he was very sick at the end of his time with me. He'd feel good, then go down hill and whenever he was feeling bad picking him up he'd give a pitiful cry scream I'd never heard before I'll never forget it and if I ever hear it again whoever it is gets a immediate vet visit. Your guy will come around but it's going to take time to rebuild his trust account. Of course you know that and will do what it takes to make him a happy camper again eventually. It feels so good when a bird like him is finally happy with his life and Flock again :bluhug:
Thanks Terry, you have heard that cry, you know what I'm describing... I've never heard that kind of cry either.
Rips my heart out. But don't force him at all I offer a treat and he'll cry, then realize im not going to touch him he'll take
treat then retreat back to safe distance. You can't forget this kind of scream.... the kind of scream that you know right away
is one of extreme scared or remembering pain associated with it. And yes your right it's going to take time to trust, I'm not rushing or pushing
it... tiny baby steps, and respect... it''s going to be on his terms. But overall I really do feel he's happy here, and relaxed. Not scared of Grey grey
or the dog... Which is good. Dog could care less of the birds..Shes old, scared of her own shadow, and has heart medication which slows her right down.