• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Say Hello to Biscuit!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Yesterday I finally got to pick up the baby I've been waiting for! She(?) is a pineapple/cinnamon mix. As soon as she saw me, she ran towards me and chirped. She proceeded to flutter onto my arm and then climb up all over me. She loves to lay on her back in my hand and is just so sweet! She's very quiet, though that'll probably change as she gets more used to her surroundings. As soon as she does get more used to her new home, I'm going to begin step up training. She's on a ZuPreem pellet diet, and is a healthy eater. The only problem is trying to get her off me!
She does bite me sometimes but I've heard that you should not say anything about it when it happens so they don't think it's a good way to get attention, so I just ignore it.
Anyone got some advice to get me started off better?

I'll upload some pics as soon as I can get my camera working... lol

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Hello Laura and Biscuit. Can't wait to see the pictures of your special little girl.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Congrats on your new birdie. : )

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not sure what you mean by that she's a pineapple, cinnamon mix? Unless you mean that one parent was a pineapple and the other a cinnamon? Pineapple is a combination of opaline (aka yellowside) and cinnamon. If the father was a pineapple and she's a pineapple as well, then you know for a fact that she's female! If the mother was a pineapple, then your chick could be male or female.

You can work on step up training now. Start by training desired behaviors to avoid undesired behaviors later. Never force her to step up. That is, don't push into her stomach or chest. Don't pry up her toes. Teach her to step up by rewarding her for walking towards you, then rewarding her for putting a toe on you, then rewarding her for putting a foot on you, then rewarding her for putting both feet on you.

If you are ignoring her when she bites, then you are allowing her to practice biting you, which only reinforces her for biting you. If you don't want to get bit, then figure out what triggers her to bite, then remove the trigger and distract her! The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs. If she's bored or inquisitive about your skin, then distract her with a toy instead and reward her for playing with her toy. If she's biting because you are doing something she doesn't like, then figure out a way to get her to do what you want her to do without getting bit and in a way that she would enjoy it.

You can also target train her to walk down your arm and onto her cage or another place for a reward.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Not sure what you mean by that she's a pineapple, cinnamon mix? Unless you mean that one parent was a pineapple and the other a cinnamon? Pineapple is a combination of opaline (aka yellowside) and cinnamon. If the father was a pineapple and she's a pineapple as well, then you know for a fact that she's female! If the mother was a pineapple, then your chick could be male or female.

You can work on step up training now. Start by training desired behaviors to avoid undesired behaviors later. Never force her to step up. That is, don't push into her stomach or chest. Don't pry up her toes. Teach her to step up by rewarding her for walking towards you, then rewarding her for putting a toe on you, then rewarding her for putting a foot on you, then rewarding her for putting both feet on you.

If you are ignoring her when she bites, then you are allowing her to practice biting you, which only reinforces her for biting you. If you don't want to get bit, then figure out what triggers her to bite, then remove the trigger and distract her! The only bite that can't be rewarded is the one that never occurs. If she's bored or inquisitive about your skin, then distract her with a toy instead and reward her for playing with her toy. If she's biting because you are doing something she doesn't like, then figure out a way to get her to do what you want her to do without getting bit and in a way that she would enjoy it.

You can also target train her to walk down your arm and onto her cage or another place for a reward.
Thanks for the help! I'll start working on those things. :)

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Photo time!
IMG_0762[1].JPG (Sorry for bad picture quality. Also, you may notice the bird in the background in a small cage and before someone rants about it I just want to let you know that they did not live in that cage, the birds were only in there while they were out of their own cage)

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Update: Thanks to @Monica for the help! She is already doing better with biting, and she's stepping up! Also, Yes her parents are a pineapple and a cinnamon, but she appears to have retained mostly the cinnamon coloring.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Do you know which parent was a pineapple?

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
What a cutie

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome beautiful Biscuit.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:xflove:

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Update!
Biscuit is doing great! She's making noises now, and her step up training is going well. She LOVES playing in water, and getting in trouble. :hehe: When I turn out the lights at night, she will talk! I'm not sure yet what she's saying, but it's something! She is very attached to the family already. If we're home, she's out and with us.
She's warming up to playing with her toys; I see her playing with them much more often now. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Biscuit is adorable and sounds like a member of the family already! I am looking forward to more Biscuit stories. Who are the other birds in your family?

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Biscuit is settling in very well. She has found a great home with you.