• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saw this guy on the side of the road

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Nice!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:loveit:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope it’s ok. Not a normal place for a hawk to perch.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
We have a lot of hawks in our area. They perch on road signs, fences, trees, power lines, anywhere along the roadway where they might find prey.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Gorgeous! Since recently becoming a bird owner in the last couple of years, I can't help see birds that I never noticed before out there. Sometimes I talk to them like they'll answer back but they never do :)
Me too! I noticed him way before the rest of my family and I absolutely think it was just my newfound “bird radar” kicking in :laugh:
Hope it’s ok. Not a normal place for a hawk to perch.
He seemed alright- of course I know birds are good at faking health, but it seemed to me like he was searching for something. We were waiting for a traffic light on the off ramp and the whole time he was just looking around (most likely for prey I assume). That, or maybe he was waiting for someone to go the wrong way :lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovely! Wonder if anybody can say what type of hawk (?) it is? Did some googling, seems to be a red-tailed hawk? I'm not too familiar with North American birds :)

Tilden.png

We have one or two red kites in the area, every now and them Mabel and Jeff spots one through the window which sends the poor babies into a bit of a tizz!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
LOL - poor baby looks confused to me. Like he's saying, "OK this sign tells me it's the wrong way, but which way is the right way"?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
You guys just made my day! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

@Khizz yep the red tails are the ones I always see around here. I just couldn’t get over how big those talons are! My daughter jokingly asked me if I wanted to go over and ask him to step up :laugh: I said “Nope, he’s good right where he is!”

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be fun to have him step up! Be sure to wear leather gloves though.. those tallons are like knives!

And a mask and a suit of armour, just in case :lol:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hawks crush prey with those talons so not only are they sharp but they are bone crushing...

I'm not sure what I've seen as they were never close except I spyed one on the telephone wire looking down at my bird on the balcony in a cage...that was not good. I never leave them even in cage on the balcony without being out with them. There is a cat next door too who peeks over the wall...No peace!!!

I did use binoculars once & was surprised by the yellow legs.feet