• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saw my first hummingbird ever!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I visited w/ my neighbors today & apparently all the hummingbirds are buzzinf around in their yards. :bash: Didn't see any, but was told!
They usually don't show up around people unless they're used to it.

...Or if they think you're stealing their food. :rofl: One day I was supposed to clean the feeder and couldn't get to it (was raining cats and dogs out there!) until late afternoon. When I took the cleaned and refilled feeder back out, I got divebombed by two hummers. I thought I might've been seeing things, but my other half witnessed it from inside too and we laughed about it when I got in.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Man humming birds are everywhere in AZ! We had one build a nest right outside our door when I was young. They are super feisty little birds and very possessive of their food source/s! In the winter when it’s tolerable outside my family and I sit out and watch them fight each other off and then perch in the fruit trees and stand guard. My old next door neighbor’s hummingbird was the best, he’d zip up to your face and just hover at eye level and glare at you if you came outside and he felt like you were lurking near his feeder.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
They usually don't show up around people unless they're used to it.

...Or if they think you're stealing their food. :rofl: One day I was supposed to clean the feeder and couldn't get to it (was raining cats and dogs out there!) until late afternoon. When I took the cleaned and refilled feeder back out, I got divebombed by two hummers. I thought I might've been seeing things, but my other half witnessed it from inside too and we laughed about it when I got in.
That's so funny I could just imagine it now! I would love to get dive bombed by some hummingbirds one day! Lol!

Man humming birds are everywhere in AZ! We had one build a nest right outside our door when I was young. They are super feisty little birds and very possessive of their food source/s! In the winter when it’s tolerable outside my family and I sit out and watch them fight each other off and then perch in the fruit trees and stand guard. My old next door neighbor’s hummingbird was the best, he’d zip up to your face and just hover at eye level and glare at you if you came outside and he felt like you were lurking near his feeder.
That's amazing about your neighbor! I seen a video a long time ago about a man with a hat that had hummingbird nectar and they were buzzing right by his face. But to not have food and have one by your face? That's so cool!

That's great! I wonder what state that is? Thank you for sharing!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was visiting my parents on Saturday and saw two hummingbirds. One in my mom's flowers and one at her feeder. She gets them every year. They are so unbelievably cute (and fast and tiny).

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
But to not have food and have one by your face? That's so cool!
It really is cool, except for the fact that they really do sound like a giant flying insect.. this little guy was so utterly unphased by me, I have a severe insect phobia and AZ has flying roaches, paloverde beetles, cicadas, other horror monsters (don’t google those if you’re anything like me /shudder) - so every time he angrily zipped up to me and I didn’t see him coming I would shriek and yell at him I THOUGHT YOU WERE A BUG!! WTH DUDE!? or something close to that before I could calm down, meanwhile he’s still just right by my head, fearlessly defending his feeder. I couldn’t have a feeder if I wanted one...they attract wasps and bees and other nightmares with wings haha he was so pretty though

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It really is cool, except for the fact that they really do sound like a giant flying insect.. this little guy was so utterly unphased by me, I have a severe insect phobia and AZ has flying roaches, paloverde beetles, cicadas, other horror monsters (don’t google those if you’re anything like me /shudder) - so every time he angrily zipped up to me and I didn’t see him coming I would shriek and yell at him I THOUGHT YOU WERE A BUG!! WTH DUDE!? or something close to that before I could calm down, meanwhile he’s still just right by my head, fearlessly defending his feeder. I couldn’t have a feeder if I wanted one...they attract wasps and bees and other nightmares with wings haha he was so pretty though
Sorry, but I had to laugh out loud at that!