• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Savvy bird hates nail clipping

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ok guys, I'm hoping you guys will have a few tricks or tips on how I can get Archie's nails clipped.

He absolutely HATES when I do this. All of my other birds mildly tolerate it, Ella will even just stand on a perch and let me pick up her toes individually and do a quick and careful snip. But not Archie. If he so much as sees the clippers in my hand, I can't even catch the little bugger. He transforms into Houdini and refuses to be contained. At first, I was able to get him out, towel him, and then clip him. But now, whenever he sees the towel, he knows what is about to happen and reverts back to a bird on the run. I've attempted to recruit assistance, but as he loathes Paul and really doesn't let anyone else handle him extensively besides me, it has proven to be quite difficult. Usually, he refuses to be caught by the people, and I don't really have access to someone who is really comfortable with handling birds in this manner.

I have nail trimming perches and the whole lot, and I've positioned all of his favorite toys and foraging items so that they can be most conveniently played with by being on these perches. He pretty much avoids all perches, and prefers to cling to the cage bars and move around that way, despite my efforts to encourage regular perching.

So, any suggestions on how I can trick an old trickster into letting me maintain his nails? :D