• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saving Turtles

Sylvester

Hit the Road
We get hundreds on that road at a time the marsh here is huge around 7ish square miles. It is horrible how many get run over, the road is for lack of a better term a turtle mine field.[/QUOTE

That is horrible! I honestly don't understand why more areas don't adopt Pennylsvania's method in dealing with turtles crossing the roads. That state built tunnels underneath highways and roads for turtles to use. It not only saved hundreds of turtles but it also created jobs.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
A few?? I've never seen more than one at a time. :jawdrop: Maybe one here and another there on down the road, but not en masse! :faint:

It would help keep your steering wheel clean, too.
I have never seen masses of turtles either. I have seen masses of small frogs crossing roads whenever there is a hard rain.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
@Sylvester that would be wonderful I didn't know Pennsylvania did that, what a great idea!! I wish Illinois would do a lot of things that they don't!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester that would be wonderful I didn't know Pennsylvania did that, what a great idea!! I wish Illinois would do a lot of things that they don't!
I was kinda surprised myself at Pennsylvania leading the way, but it makes perfect sense.

Maybe it is something you could bring up to your state Representative.

I just live across the bridge from you, and trust me, Missouri will come in dead last as the state that would ever do anything this progressive for animals.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We get hundreds on that road at a time the marsh here is huge around 7ish square miles. It is horrible how many get run over, the road is for lack of a better term a turtle mine field.
:shocking:You did say "hundreds" but my brain took that as an exaggeration that meant "several" or "frequently".