• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Saving birds from pet supplies plus

Parrotless

Checking out the neighborhood
So I've stumbled across this forum multiple times. I used to have a budgie named echo but I sold him. However, every single time I would go into the pet store there would almost always be one or two birds huddled into the corner of their cage, all puffed up with their tails bobbing. Some time soon, I want to go and buy one of these sick birds, and nurse them back to health. I have a large cage, toys, food, water dishes, baths, everything it'll need. However, I have no idea how exactly to help it or nurse it back to health as I do not have an avian vet near me. Any help would be appreciated.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The only way to know for sure what is wrong with a bird, or to know how to treat it, is yo take them to an avian vet. If you tell us where you are, maybe someone can help you locate a vet.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
When you buy a bird from them, you’re paying for the next bird.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you buy from the pet store, it tells them that there is a market for these birds. They will just get more, and treat these poor birds in a similarly neglectful fashion.

Without an avian vet near you and without knowledge and experience in caring for sick birds, you will not be able to heal it. If you tell us where you live, we may be able to help you find an avian vet.

perkyparakeets

Checking out the neighborhood
unfortunately, the other comments are correct although i completely understand the urge to help the birds you are only paying for more birds to be treated badly. something you can do is to try and talk to the employees or the manger and nicely explain to them that the birds are showing signs of illness. Its best to stay calm and not be confrontational. if you are kind and show genuine concern for the animals they may allow you to adopt them for free. My friend has done it before at a petco with a mouse that had been attacked. it may not work but it is worth a try.