• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Save Me from this Bad Idea I will inevitably have to deal with (rip my free time 2021 even tho it really died in 2020)

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Sorry about the title I thought it would be funny considering the context. Any-who, so as many of you may know me from my post about kony (bird with gout) and many may know that my family is not responsible when it comes to animals nor caring. With that being said in short, my mom is now fixated on the idea of getting a dog (specifically a shiatzu) just because of their looks. She thinks it’s a tiny easy to care for dog because of the small size. But having done a lot of research I can safely say it’s not. It’s a lot of money, work, and time. Not only are my hands already full as it is being on top of konys gout, vet bills, job searching and not to mention college. I now will have to deal with a dog.

Does not matter the dog’s size or breed it’s still a dog with a unique personality. My mom knows nothing of breeders or proper paper work or the legal steps one should properly take if getting a dog from a breeder or shelter. She just wants to get one from her friend because it’s the easiest way. Well, that easy way will most likely result in us getting a dog that won’t be what we expect. Ever since she stated she wanted one I have been deep diving into research about dog breeds and their compatibility with birds. After much research while there are specific breeds that get along better than others the bottom line is I will never be able to leave a dog and a bird in a room alone together period.

I have already established future rules for the dog. It is never to be in the same room with kony (bird) without my supervision and even then kony will be inside her cage at all times when the dog is present. I am to only open the cage door after removing the dog from the room and closing my door completely. And if no one is home kony is to be kept in my room inside her cage door shut completely with the dog downstairs either in a crate (if we are sure, we will be back within the hour) or outside (we have an enclosed secure space in our backyard a dog can stay in). Basically, neither will be allowed together or near each other without my 247 supervision. A dog can do damage regardless of size or how well trained it is. Best to be safe than sorry.

I looked into a lot of dog breeds since the dog my mom wants to get will essentially be my problem. She has already basically shown that she does not intend to do the work to care for the dog. She basically will be having me walk it and care for it while all she does is cuddle with it. (Yes this does bother me). So in a sense her dog will really be my dog even though after my recent experiences I have come to the conclusion that I don’t want one anymore nor need one. Kony is enough for me.

At first, I was looking at specific dog breeds but soon I realized that all of them have flaws. Whether it be people saying the personality of the dog does not match the description to people saying the dog does shed a lot when websites say they don’t. This was useful though as now I know what mixes or breeds, I should avoid such as hunting dogs, shepherds and huskies. I made a list of what we would be looking for

• Does not shed a lot (hypoallergenic preferably but not necessarily)
  • Known to be quiet/ very calm and chill personality
  • Does not need high levels of exercise just the basic walks after meals and a bit of play time indoors with toys
  • Female (don’t want a dog that will hump all my future sorry but no)
  • no dog breeds with squished faces as they are known for breathing problems aka vet bills (no offence but I would be a beginner dog owner I’m not experienced to handle those sorts of medical issues)
  • Size ranging in medium to large but on the small side of the large scale (if I’m getting a dog I’m getting a dog not something to shove in a purse)
With all that being said this is the result of my research. This dog won’t be joining anytime soon the soonest being the upcoming fall (late late fall) or spring (late spring). We will most likely choose a rescue dog (this is why im researching breeds since most rescues you can tell what kind of mix they are by their looks or the shelter might tell you if you ask and there are some breeds I want to avoid that I know won’t be a good fit for me or my family). But I have reached a dead end with my research lately and would love to hear some breed suggestions or tips on adopting dogs from shelters or adoption events. I would like to know from other peoples experience on what the dos and don’ts are and what to look for. And how to you desensitize your birds to the sound of dog barking? We are also open to potentially geting one from a breeder if looking through shelters and adoption events (multiple/ a lot of them and I mean a lot of them) does not lead us to the type of dog we are looking for. We are very pro adopt not shop but if the dog that fits our family just is not in the shelter then its not in the shelter.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Top 7 Low Energy Hypoallergenic Dogs That Don't Shed - We Love Doodles That could be helpful!

Also I know that you don't really want one, but congrats on maybe getting a dog anyways! I never knew how much I could love a dog until I got one, and now I love her pretty much as much as I love Pistache! (my 'main' bird (tamest/most loving)) Also I would recommend a small dog anyways, because they eat less, need shorter walks, etc. and since you kind of dont want one, it might be nicer to have less dog around.

Last edited:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I would look at standard poodles and the various poodles mixes, if you want a medium to large low-shed or hypoallergenic dog. Poodles have hair that grows constantly, rather than fur that sheds all the time. So they require regular grooming to keep their coat looking good, but they won't drop hairs all over the place.

Poodles come in a variety of sizes from very tiny to large. Nowadays, there are also a million poodle crosses out there - labradoodles, goldendoodles, puggles, etc. These crosses will be different sizes, depending on the size of the other breed and if they crosses with a toy poodle, miniature poodle or standard poodle. Most are in the medium to small range, from what I've seen.

The nice thing with poodles is they are smart and trainable. Very people oriented and good companion dogs. Temperament varies. I have met very calm poodles (especially the larger ones) and very high strung poodles (especially the toy varieties). They are medium-high activity level. Most dogs are happier when you keep them busy.

I had a standard poodle growing up and he was a great dog. Observant, sensitive, friendly, and intelligent.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Top 7 Low Energy Hypoallergenic Dogs That Don't Shed - We Love Doodles That could be helpful!

Also I know that you don't really want one, but congrats on maybe getting a dog anyways! I never knew how much I could love a dog until I got one, and now I love her pretty much as much as I love Pistache! (my 'main' bird (tamest/most loving)) Also I would recommend a small dog anyways, because they eat less, need shorter walks, etc. and since you kind of dont want one, it might be nicer to have less dog around.
Thanks Im not compeltely against dogs. I always begged my mom for one since I was young. The only reason im a bit on the fence about it now is because of everything I have been through in the past year. I have really come to realize the full responsibility of caring for any animal in general especially with kony. Now I dont view a dog the same way as I did before. Now I see how much responsiblity a dog really is. While I do have the time and soon will have the money I am just very particular about the dog my family will pick since I also need to consider kony in the equation. While im not a fan of small dog breeds I have nothing against them either. (kony is not giant either so I cant really judge a dog on size if kony is able to fit in my hand and I love her so I cant be a hypocrite).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also recommend a Poodle. Check out both standards and miniatures.
Here's a list of hypoallergenic dogs:
You probably won't find most of these at a rescue although I have adopted Poodles and a Bichon Frise through
local shelters and there are breed specific rescues.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Are you the one that will be responsible for the dogs care?
Not only are my hands already full as it is being on top of konys gout, vet bills, job searching and not to mention college. I now will have to deal with a dog.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are describing a Bichon Frise. They are great little dogs with wonderful personalities.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I have 2 shihtzu/Maltese mixes. My girl Bella is an absolute dream. She does not bark unless she wants something like water or to go out and potty. And we got lucky with her (she has manners). As far as my boy buddy he is a tornado lol barks at every and training has been slow. The plus side I would say is that as far as the shihtzu breed they are very easy going but stubborn as all ****. But I wouldn’t trade her for the world or buddy. But they do come with work as any animal. I’ve taken to grooming them myself as even thou they are small it’s a pretty penny every couple of months to keep up with their hair (I say hair because it grows and sheds like ours I’ve come to notice). They are the easier of the ladder because of their low energy. She is literally our couch potato and we consider her our cat dog lol the Maltese have more energy then the shihtzu. Just my experience. They are both 4 years old and I’ve had them since they were 3 months old. I do hope your situation gets better, it does become to much at times and kony deserves to live in a safe environment!

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Are you the one that will be responsible for the dogs care?
Yes mainly. While my family will most likely buy the food and regular supplies. My dad will most likely walk the dog in the morning, while I walk it in the afternoon, and if needed my dad or mom will walk it at night. But since I am the only one home while they are at work a majority of the time the dog will be under my supervision. Currently I am doing college online so I have more free time than most students and the jobs im looking into are also work from home jobs.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Just going to add my mother in law has a full breed toy poodle and not only are they super smart they have a lot of energy as well from what I have seen

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are describing a Bichon Frise. They are great little dogs with wonderful personalities.
Great dogs but prone to developing bladder stones and allergies. My Bichon has allergies and a history of developing calcium oxalate stones.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've bred & raised toy poodles for 48 years. I also had my own in house grooming business. I groomed Toys, Miniatures & Standards. Acording to the AKC there is no such thing as a Teacup poodle. They are jsut a small Toy size. The cross breeds will often end up with poodle hair that keep on growing, so they still need constant grooming. I hate they cross breed them.

As far as personality....I've had 13 in my life time so far & each one is different. It has a lot in how you raise them, but not all. Some will be yappie & others quiet. My current poodle never, & I mean never, barks or makes a peep unless he is sound asleep & dreaming. Then he whines & growls a few times. He's super quiet, super sweet & loves everyone. Others I've had were yappie.

Grooming wise they must be brushed (slicker brush) & combed weekly (some daily) or their hair will mat. Poodles have hair not fur like other dogs. Their hair is very fine & can be curly or straight, again genetics plays the part here. That's why many have them shaved. Their hair will grow fast enough they need clipped every 8-10 weeks at best. Clipping also requires clipping their feet & pads, or they end up walking on it. I keep mine in a Continental Poodle Clip, minus the poms on the hips. It's a ton of work. Tools required to do your own grooming would require: a good slicker brush, a good metal comb, good quality shamppo & conditioner for poodle hair (no you should not use human shampoo or baby shampoo, as it's strips the oil from poodles hair), electric clippers & blades, A good pair of dog grooming scissors, clipper spray, clipper oil, nail clippers, grooming bands to tie up the top knot. If you buy good quality supplies/tools they will last the life time of the dog & then some. You can find videos on line on how to groom & clip & do a top knot. Keep in mind if you can't do your own grooming/clipping it will cost you whatever the groomers in your area charge every 8-10 weeks. A poodle should never be bathed before brushing/combing, as it will mat he hair even worse.

Poodles, pure breeds, are generally very intelligent & learn quickly. Teach them to sit, lay down, come, go when they are little pups can really help in the long run. Mine love stuffed animals, chew toys, etc. Diet should be limited to a top quality dog food. No human foods.

So even tho poodles make great companions they are a lot of work grooming wise. Most dogs that don't shed require a lot of grooming, as their hair/coat keeps growing, unlike short haired dogs.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great dogs but prone to developing bladder stones and allergies. My Bichon has allergies and a history of developing calcium oxalate stones.
I’ve known two that belonged to my sister and to some friends. Neither ever had any problems :shrug: My friends dog lived to be almost 30.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve known two that belonged to my sister and to some friends. Neither ever had any problems :shrug: My friends dog lived to be almost 30.
They were very lucky. Quoted from PetMD " Some of the smaller breeds are genetically predisposed to calcium oxalate stones, he says. These include Miniature Schnauzers, Bichon Frise, Lhaso Apsos, Yorkshire Terriers, and Shih Tzus. "
As for allergies: 10 Breeds That Are Prone to Allergies
Geordie's vet even told me that his breed is prone to getting allergies and stones but not all Bichon Frises will get that. There's just a higher probability.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the comments and advice especially on poodle mixes. I never thought of looking into them until now. They look like walking teddy bears in a way, very cute. I am definietly going to do more reaserch on health problems in dog breeds after reading what @iamwhoiam said. I want to be prepared for anything even vet visits. A healthy dog is the best kind.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
You could even consider an older rescue dog, (5-7 years) that would generally be a lot more relaxed than a puppy! There are so many that need a new home, it depends on the area but you might be able to find a rescue with the breeds you are looking into :)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I actually think a Shih Tzu isn’t a terrible idea for the situation you describe. They do have a squished face but it’s not as extreme as in some other breeds and as long as you keep an eye on their weight they seem often to be pretty hardy animals. At the groomer where I worked we had several shih tzus who were healthy into their teens.

I’m a big fan of toy breeds in general because many of them are pretty laid back and well suited to home life. Many “medium” breeds (30-50 lbs) have a working heritage and will therefore require a lot of extra daily work in terms of training, providing exercise and mental stimulation, etc. I have a shelter dog who is a mix of a couple working breeds in that size range and even into his late middle age I’m finding it hard to meet his exercise and enrichment needs. I know a lot of people don’t like little dogs but the way I explain it is that every breed was developed to do a job, whether it is herding or pointing or retrieving or guarding. A companion breed’s heritage and job in life is to love you.

The grooming IS a concern and potential expense but as Toy says, you can learn to do it yourself! I find it extremely soothing to bathe and brush out a dog, perhaps you will as well.

Boy dogs will not necessarily hump your furniture- I don’t know any that do that, actually, but I only hang out with dogs who are spayed/neutered.

I’m generally a fan of breed-specific rescues, especially for new dog owners. They have usually had their dogs in a foster home for a while so they’ll have a very good idea of which individual dogs will be a fit for your family and can tell you a lot about the dog’s needs and preferences.

Alas, I have no advice about desensitizing birds to dogs. My dog considered the budgie cage to be just like the TV (a source of noise and movement that didn’t actually impact him so he pays no attention). My tiel had never seen a dog before but after a week or so he realized that while it was big and scary, it didn’t acknowledge him at all and now he doesn’t care if the dog walks by.

I do think your plan for keeping the animals completely separate is great. I put my dog in a bedroom with a Kong toy when the birds are out and it’s worked well for years. He is crate trained but I prefer giving him more space.

Good luck!!

Reactions: tka

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mixes aren't necessarily a bad idea, though their breeders often do no health screening. Many dog breeds suffer from a lack of genetic diversity due to the cumulative effects of generations of closed stud books, the founders effect, etc. Poodles are lovely dogs, but they aren't the exception to this. Standard poodles in particular have way too little genetic diversity.

Best of the websites: Pedigree Dogs Exposed - The Blog

This isn't poodle/ purebred/ dog hating. I actually love poodles & the predictability of purebreds & dogs in general. Unfortunately such a list could be compiled for practically all dog breeds. Dogs were healthier when the concept of the landrace, not the purebred, ruled & when stud books were open. Basically if you had a golden retriever & I had a labrador retriever, we'd breed them together & get retrievers. Similarly, if I had a border collie that looked & acted like one, I could get it registered as such.

Gene pools are now so small that even scientists have talked about breeds on the verge, genetically, of extinction.

One of my favourite quotes: "You can't fool Old Mother Nature, and it's of no use to try."

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I got mine as a shelter dog and they said he was Boxer/shepherd or boxer/hound. He is not shepherd or hound, he's mostly Great Dane and Saint Bernard, so they can't always tell you ;) He's super into balls which should mean high prey drive .. except he doesn't chase my cat, bird, wild birds, or even squirrels. All this to say, sometimes you'll miss out on a great dog if you go by just what the shelter says they are a mix of ;)